p/s box removal

-

Roadart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Having trouble removing the p/s box in my 72 dart. It is a 318 with hooker competition headers. The headers are off the heads but will not give me good access to remove the box. The exhaust system is welded from the headers all the way back. I have the box out of the place it is bolted to but can not clear the header. Any one have ideas? If I massage the inner fender it will probably come out. Thanks for ANY ideas??

Having trouble removing the p/s box in my 72 dart. It is a 318 with hooker competition headers. The headers are off the heads but will not give me good access to remove the box. The exhaust system is welded from the headers all the way back. I have the box out of the place it is bolted to but can not clear the header. Any one have ideas? If I massage the inner fender it will probably come out. Thanks for ANY ideas??
Loosen the engine and Jack it up a couple inches.
Worse case scenario you may have to cut the exhaust loose from the header so you can move the header out of the way! That side the centerlink goes thru the header so you wont be about to take it out completely.

Last edited:
The headers should not be welded to the reducers. The exhaust system shrinks and grows with the heat and the engine torquing over will likely eventually crack the weakest points. I would kill two birds with one stone and cut it apart, then later provide a strain relief for the headers. The merges are probably the weakest links and when they break, that weakens or ends your scavenging.

I recently replaced my power steering box on my 1965 dodge dart w/360, but no headers. Removed the power steering pump
and loosened the motor mount and jacked the engine up a little. took the box out from the front. (Also removed the battery tray)

I have the battery tray out, pump should not be a problem.Will find out shortly. Thanks to all.

-
Back