p.s. gear box repair

-

forced 340

Reaction score
hey guys. is it possible to replace the stub shaft and sector shaft seals in the car? mine are leaking VERY bad! i have confirmed where the leaks are coming from. also, is there a kit for doing this so i dont have to buy an entire rebuild kit?? thanks!!!

Can't give you an answer, there was a thread I saw on it here, but looked to involved for me. my ps box and pump both leak and I have been thinking of finding a shop to rebuild them but not sure what type of shop would do that type of work.

If the upper/input shaft travels in and outward through the seal, a new seal there probably wont completely stop the leak. When they were 5 to 10 years old new seals were common repairs. At 30 to 50 years old, seals are only the visible one of several parts needed. I suggest you at least consider a reman'd steering gear. Anyway...
That small upper seal is a lot more difficult to remove that the lower.
I make a tiny hole in that upper seal and draw it out with a sheet metal screw.
For the lower seal...Do this one first...
Depending on what year model, You may need a 1& 5/16 inch socket that most owners don't have. Typical socket sets end at 1&1/4 inch.
Then you will need a pitman arm puller. Then there's a dust cap and snap ring to remove. Start the engine, rev it up and steer all the way to either end. Fluid pressure will blow the old seal out and into your catch pan.

-
Back