P3690152AB Wiring Harness Kit ground wire short

-

chris_stevenson

Reaction score
well my question is has anyone ever had this wire harness kit go out on them? a while back my car was stalling out. I couldnt figure out why. then I had someone turn the car over for me and the yellow ground wire was arcing off one of my spark plug wires. so I moved the wires taped them away from everything few weeks later. the car started randomly stalling now nothing. no transfer of power from the coil on the + side. I unpluged the + and used a meter. no power but I checked the main power source and thats good. ballast is good. checked distrubter and thats good. ran a ground wire from the coil and theres power going through. so my guess is somewhere in my harness its no longer grounding. the yellow wire shorted out or burned inside somewhere. I ordered a new wire harness. 23 dollars isnt much to fix this problem but just was throwing it out there to see if anyone has had problems?

No idea what "the yellow wire" is, please post a diagram. The ECU box MUST MUST be grounded.

If a plug wire was arcing, that's likely either a bad plug wire or broken spark plug

Thanks for trying, I've already seen that. I see nothing in there about a yellow wire. The thing is, the coil does not require a ground to run. I've no idea where you're at with this.

If you look at the diagram on page 10, the only ground in the entire ignition system is the flange mounts for the ECU itself. The box MUST be grounded.

Attachments

• ECU.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 379
well I didnt run a ground wire from the box and it ran like that for idk how long, two years? maybe more. I ordered a wire harness and have a new box. I'll run a ground wire this time.

I'll repeat. The thing that MUST be grounded is the BOX. In all OEM installations, the WAY they are grounded is mounted tight to the firewall. This is poor practice, but people did "get away" with it. Forty years later, with rust, corrosion, and stripped bolt holes, not so much.

As long as the box flanges are scraped clean, and the firewall likewise, mount the box with star lock washers. The bolts must be tight.........not stripped out.

Frankly, I'm tired of this dance. You refuse to give details, I've no idea what you are about here

im sry what details did I not give? I'm pretty sure I killed my wire harness due to me not grounding out my box. the yellow wire I was talking about is the black wire with a yellow strip down it.

-
Back