Paint and body guy looking to help..

-
I see this as a wonderful opportunety for some one or ones.
How many members would love to trade some labor to learn to do good body work on their car...not everyone an afford $6-10,000 for such!
Materials have gone up like crazy as it is. But your right. I'm here trying to help. Save people money. Laugh. And learn. Bring back the "hobby" to the average joe..instead of the wealthy that can just throw tens of thousands at a "hobby" I'm sure I'll piss off some guys that think I'm trying to hurt them by helping out. But there's plenty work out there that can keep em busy. And alot of those places won't help others. Sadly.

Man-O-man what a carrot! I sure would like to take advantage of your offer; I do everything except bodywork, but like Rusty, I'm a lil far away.
Plus, not vaxed and never will be, so cannot enter the USA............. at least not from the North, lol.
I hope you find what you need.

Man-O-man what a carrot! I sure would like to take advantage of your offer; I do everything except bodywork, but like Rusty, I'm a lil far away.
Plus, not vaxed and never will be, so cannot enter the USA............. at least not from the North, lol.
I hope you find what you need.
Oh yah. I hear yah. You know a few years ago I wanted to open a shop and get my non profit. I wanted to hire disabled vets. Etc and give them a purpose. Also wanted to open the shop for anyone that needed help again at cost of materials.

People like you are a big bonus to our hobby and society in general. We're leaving Puget Sound after over 30 years, and moving back to Florida, my motherland. Maybe RRR and a few others can get together to help others in our antique car hobby. We're shopping now. Comin' your way, Rusty!

People like you are a big bonus to our hobby and society in general. We're leaving Puget Sound after over 30 years, and moving back to Florida, my motherland. Maybe RRR and a few others can get together to help others in our antique car hobby. We're shopping now. Comin' your way, Rusty!
I want to move my family to Florida. Just with the world like it is.

I appreciate that. The way I can easily describe my intentions is like a car club with friends and new members. Just people helping each other. No egos. And having fun.

I hope you find someone close, if I weren't on the other side of Missouri I'd offer up some grunt labor. I have two Sweptlines needing some body and paint work, and would love to learn the skills in my free time (which I have little). It's a shame no one wants to work anymore. Most shops around here have permanent help wanted signs...

I hope you find someone close, if I weren't on the other side of Missouri I'd offer up some grunt labor. I have two Sweptlines needing some body and paint work, and would love to learn the skills in my free time (which I have little). It's a shame no one wants to work anymore. Most shops around here have permanent help wanted signs...
So far no such luck. Kinda typical I guess. They see "help" and don't understand simple bartering.

Possible the problem is people are cautious or suspect of bartering with strangers and with good reason.
My experience is bartering seldom works out. Its not like a friend giving a buddy a hand now and then or the other way around
Ive been down this road before and there is always a catch

Possible the problem is people are cautious or suspect of bartering with strangers and with good reason.
My experience is bartering seldom works out. Its not like a friend giving a buddy a hand now and then or the other way around
Ive been down this road before and there is always a catch
Only catch is you gotta show up.

Only catch is you gotta show up.
Ive taught guys welding and helped ones who wanted to learn many times, its good for the soul
Ive also had guys in business ask me to fix whatever it is for nothing and offer some service in return
The answer i give is aways the same, No. I had tuitions to pay, bills coming out my rear end, I didnt need their help, I needed them to pay me for services rendered
Ive done countless small jobs for friends and neighbours for free and wanted nothing, no help in return
Years ago a close friend asked me to weld something up on a street rod his friend was building for a customer
I went down to this guys shop and spent three hours on my hands and knees, my rods my gasoline for the welder. The shop owner never offered me a dime, not a cup of coffee or a glass of water
!2 years ago I asked my good friend if he could have his body man buddy (who I did the welding for) come over and give me a idea what the body work would run me on my 69 Ply.
This guy does great work and I thought I was at the stage in life were I could afford to use him
He never showed and asking again produced excuses
Having said all that, id like to think you have the best of intentions and I wish you good luck

Ive taught guys welding and helped ones who wanted to learn many times, its good for the soul
Ive also had guys in business ask me to fix whatever it is for nothing and offer some service in return
The answer i give is aways the same, No. I had tuitions to pay, bills coming out my rear end, I didnt need their help, I needed them to pay me for services rendered
Ive done countless small jobs for friends and neighbours for free and wanted nothing, no help in return
Years ago a close friend asked me to weld something up on a street rod his friend was building for a customer
I went down to this guys shop and spent three hours on my hands and knees, my rods my gasoline for the welder. The shop owner never offered me a dime, not a cup of coffee or a glass of water
!2 years ago I asked my good friend if he could have his body man buddy (who I did the welding for) come over and give me a idea what the body work would run me on my 69 Ply.
This guy does great work and I thought I was at the stage in life were I could afford to use him
He never showed and asking again produced excuses
Having said all that, id like to think you have the best of intentions and I wish you good luck
I get that. The main reason why I'm opening my doors. F those People that take advantage. I get that. Maybe this would be better for like a car club and such. Idk.

I could go for this, but I am about 20 miles west of the Quad Cities. Too far for a daily drive, Harvard is a little east from Rockford.
Damn. My Dart would be like a winter project . Too cold to live in my motor home!
Good luck!

I could go for this, but I am about 20 miles west of the Quad Cities. Too far for a daily drive, Harvard is a little east from Rockford.
Damn. My Dart would be like a winter project . Too cold to live in my motor home!
Good luck!
Do a section at a time.

Man I wish i was closer to you! I would love to learn hands on with an experienced teacher. I have been studying books and YouTube videos on body and paint work in preparation for getting the Dart looking good again, but noting beats hands on practice with someone to guide you. I also recently completed a rebuild of a 273 that came out pretty good. I had a blast doing it (except maybe cleaning out the sludge) and learned a ton about engine rebuilding.

Man I wish i was closer to you! I would love to learn hands on with an experienced teacher. I have been studying books and YouTube videos on body and paint work in preparation for getting the Dart looking good again, but noting beats hands on practice with someone to guide you. I also recently completed a rebuild of a 273 that came out pretty good. I had a blast doing it (except maybe cleaning out the sludge) and learned a ton about engine rebuilding.
There yah go!. Best way is hands on. And once you know the basics. And get the right tools for the job. It can be done.

I want to move my family to Florida. Just with the world like it is.
Man I, like others, wish you were closer. I'd love to help and get some schoolin'. If you make the change down to central FlorIda, I'm in!

I've been looking to move to Florida. Where abouts are you?
Deland. Near Daytona.
Warning, we have four seasons: not hot, hot, damn hot and okay enough already....
Not hot is the shortest season. And oh yeah there is hurricane season, too.
But from what I hear it's better than snow. Seriously you'd miss the change of seasons.

Last edited:
Deland. Near Daytona.
Warning, we have four seasons: not hot, hot, damn hot and okay enough already....
Not hot is the shortest season. And oh yeah there is hurricane season, too.
But from what I hear it's better than snow. Seriously you'd miss the change of seasons.
I've lived in Illinois for 50 years. I guarantee I wouldn't miss the seasons. Lol..and I could continue my motorcycle business as well .

I was born and raised in Florida. St. Petersburg, and Seminole county area. Maitland, Oviedo, Bithlo. Our house in Washington is now up for sale. Time for this old Gator to take his bride of 35 years, and head home to my Motherland. We're looking at homes now. After my hip and knee are replaced, I'm looking forward to the sunshine.

I just looked up Harvard for ***** and giggles. I lived an hour away from you from 2009-2013. I was stationed at Great Lakes and had a place in Lake Bluff. Missed opportunity. lol.

-
Back