Paint and body help please!!!!

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
Ok guy's.....so I have already chatted with some of you on suggestions for paint color and a few other things in a different thread awhile back. Today I come to you with different questions lol. I have been searching and searching for place's online to purchase paint! and I can't find ANY. I was considering going single stage paint through summit racing but I have since changed my mind. I would like to go with dupont or ppg and do base clear instead of the single stage route. I am going to be painting the car plum crazy purple with the satin black 340 stripe kit. And when I nab an engine up for it, I will be painting it hemi orange before dropping it in. I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me find a good reliable site with pricing and order information and what not. I have tried ppg and duponts websites but its just a bunch of corporate mumbojumbo. I just started work on the duster the other day and its actually going along pretty quickly, I will be sure to post pictures up of progress when I can. But I need to get all the paint details worked out because I am thinknig of sending it in for paint next month...easier for me to find paint online....hard to make my way to the paint store with my schedule. Thanks in advance guys!

Oreilly Auto Parts is a supplier that is open 7 days a week. We get Dupont at a good discount.

If you don't have Oreilly Auto Parts how about a NAPA store. NAPA sells paint in some of the stores in Oklahoma. I think they carry PPG.

Call around to check prices even in the same chain you can save some money a lot of the time.

I am new to painting, but I have been using the stuff from TCPglobal.com and it has been great. They seem to be good knowledgeable people and the shipping is always super fast and the prices are reasonable.

I have also dealt with NAPA they carry the Sherwin Williams stuff out here in CA.

find a good local auto body supply shop the knowledge and service are more than worth the few extra dollars

TCPglobal is a great place, but they are nothing like a good local place to help you out when you need it. Nothing like have a face to talk to if you run into a problem. Just my 2 cents.
Matt

I have used ppg's economy line which was called omni with good results,under 200 for everything paint,reducer. for clearcoat and hardner,I use extreme clearcoat kit.

attheshow.JPG

I have used ppg's economy line which was called omni with good results,under 200 for everything paint,reducer. for clearcoat and hardner,I use extreme clearcoat kit.

RIGHT ON with the picture.....thats the look I am going for other then Im not looking to run that style wheel. I have a like new set of factory rallys that are way deep in the rears that I think I am going to run, I just need to get some chrome beauty rings for them. Or I may pick up a set of keystones or something. plus my duster has the dual flat black hood scoops and I am probably going to do the flat black around the tail lights aswell. but yes that looks good and thanks for the advice

Thanks for your help so far guys,I appreciate it....any more site or good tips or anything...please chime in.......I dont have an orieleys near by,closest one is about 30 or more miles away,we had about 3 or 4 napas here but they have all sold out within the last year or so......I have 2 good local paint shops,2 reasons I have not gone in there....one,they are a little pricey but I expected that....but the second reason is,I have an odd schedule and I can't get in there before there closed so I figured it would be easier to figure it out online instead....not to mention,there on the other side of town too. Also....I have seen people use the omni brand and its not bad your right. But the last paint job I did was on a mustang and I used all chromabased dupont and dupont pearls and the hole 9 yards and ended up running me $2500.00 all said and done but the car turned out amazing....I ended up turning big profit on it too,traded it for a like new 1972 mustang mach1 fastback and then I sold that one for a good chunk of change. but the duster I am not looking to sell. I like this car and wouldl ike to hang on to it. anyhow,thanks for the websites and the tips guys...keep em coming

well I had thought of going through tcp global but when I went to purchase.....I was reminded of the HAZMAT FEES lol.....so there goes that idea...the point of going through tcp was because there price's seemed good,but when you add the $90.00 or more for hasmat fees and then the $40.00 for the shipping,plus the price of all the materials... I might as well just buy locally and get the name brand stuff for the same price lol......I am looking at going with dupont chromabase or maybe go the omni route...will see,thanks for the info though guys

Dupont and PPG do not sell online. I have only found 1 place and you have to be a business to purchase from them. Good luck..

not sure if i posted it in this thread or a different but I had said that I do have a local store.....the only reason I was considering an online purchase was because tcp's website had such good deal on paint ....until I went to check out and seen all the hidden fees that is lol. I have a good local paint store that I am going to today as a matter of fact to pick up all my paint....Im going to go with the ppg shopline base clear paint,they had a good deal on it all and I talked to the guy for awhile and he went through the pros and cons of the types of paint he had and said that the shopline is a good deal with great results. so thats what I am going with. thanks again

Just wanted to let you guys know I got my paint! ppg base clear plum crazy purple.....got a good deal too, 1 gallon of plum crazy purple that mix's 1to1 so actually 2 gallons......plus 1 gallon of clear,plus a quart of hardener plus a gallon of reducer plus like 20 stir sticks and strainers....still gotta get some more stuff yet but that was the biggest expense....got it all for $212.00 with tax! for PPG. not bad. I took pictures of the color in the can and I sprayed a test patch to see how it looked laid out and took pictures but the cable for my digital camera is broken so now I cant upload pics but I will figure something out. thanks for all the info and advice guys and I am sure I will have more questions for you guys about something again! lol

forgot my laptop had a card reader lol so I loaded pictures that way....anyhow,got bored and sprayed a quick little spot just too see the color,like setting a bag of candy out for a kid but saying he's not aloud to eat it lol...had to spray a quick spot. before you go judging the quality of the paint job lol...let me start by saying,I did not sand, I did not have the pressure on the gun set,I sprayed over the top of bondo dust...I was not going for quality here lol just a sample of the color. anyhow, I just wanted to show you guys my new paint! swing over to the restoration section or search through my threads,I am getting ready to load up new pictures of progress on the duster!

plum crazy shrunk.jpg

plumcrazyshrunk2.jpg

plumcrazyshrunk3.jpg

plumcrazyincan.jpg

that's a good lookin color, I can't wait to see the finished product!

swing over to the restoration threads and check out my thread with pictures of the duster from start to current progress and stuff....anyhow today I wire wheeled all the floor board where I seen any paint flaking or any surface rust and got it all nice and clean....during the wir wheeling I found a couple of small pin holes in the floor so I ended up cutting out patch's of tin and welding them in place....so that is taken care off. tomorrow it gets primer and I am laying a nice think coat of black paint over the floor board to seal it up. and when I get around to it I will undercoat the bottom of the floors but im not in a rush for that jsut yet...it still has factory undercoating on it,it just had a bad seal on the door a long time ago and water soaked the carpet and the previous owner never pulled the carpet up....so the carpet had been soaked on the drivers pan all this time. I am getting the floor done because I am getting ready to paint all the interior panels in the plum crazy purple and then I can get back to focusing on the body work on the exterior......its getting there,not as fast as I would like but then again,I have seen threads on here of guys talking about owning there projects for 15+ years and just NOW getting around to working on them....so that being said,I am actually moving along quite fast lol. Ill take progress pictures as I go on the interior and post up pictures for everyone. I am making sure I have a compleat photo record of the car for when I do get it finished.

-
Back