Paint/Body work How to Thread thoughts

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
I was thinking the other day about the "How to" thread section we have and how many do it yourself people are on this fourm.

I was wondering after looking through the "how to" section if there would be any fellow member(s) that would be willing to do some basic body and paint how to(s) for things like dent repair, stud gun, paint prep on different surfaces and etc. I know especially with members starting to do youtube that maybe finding a way to further the "how to" section that we could help the people just getting into this hobby.

ATTENTION!!!!!!

PLEASE KEEP POSTS ABOUT HELPING. I would like to keep this thread on topic and creating a thread with auto body/Paint knowledge.

IF this can't be done, I will just message those who have already commented or are willing to help do so and create a new threa
d.

MY idea was to do the following:

Sand paper choices and when to use which, primer choices and when/how to use/mix, paint choices and when to use/mix.

Also basic rust and panel repair or replacement would be a good idea too.

A lot of people on here can't afford to pay someone to do the work, so my thoughts were if there were people with the knowledge that were willing to share some of it, we could help those who would like to do the work themselves.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan

demon1.jpg

demon.jpg

Sounds like a great idea if some of our members who are professional and experienced painters would be willing to offer advice and guidance. I am pretty comfortable doing all of my own body work, and have been doing it for years. But, I am just now learning to paint, and getting more comfortable with it as I go. It's like anything, in that you learn from your mistakes and always keep trying to be better.

It would be a difficult write. I tried to do a step by step build and assembly start to finish on the airplane that I built. I gave up before I finished the horizontal stabilizer. Can't even imagine trying to read in-between the lines of body to paint work. Plus, I would probably fall asleep trying to read (slug) my way through it. If you a good positive minded self starter, go for it. Otherwise, it would be a plus to know a professional and get hands on experience. Or go to a trade school.

It would be a difficult write. I tried to do a step by step build and assembly start to finish on the airplane that I built. I gave up before I finished the horizontal stabilizer. Can't even imagine trying to read in-between the lines of body to paint work. Plus, I would probably fall asleep trying to read (slug) my way through it. If you a good positive minded self starter, go for it. Otherwise, it would be a plus to know a professional and get hands on experience. Or go to a trade school.

For that case. it may be better to break it up into stages, like I have been doing with the how to rebuild a small block series that I'm in middle of and need to finish...

It takes a while to make each section, but it's better if you break it up into stages/parts to keep it manageable to write and keep the reader's interest... When the posts are too long, I get ADD... :BangHead:

Hey, what's that shiny thing over there.... --->>>

I was thinking the other day about the "How to" thread section we have and how many do it yourself people are on this fourm.

I was wondering after looking through the "how to" section if there would be any fellow member(s) that would be willing to do some basic body and paint how to(s) for things like dent repair, stud gun, paint prep on different surfaces and etc. I know especially with members starting to do youtube that maybe finding a way to further the "how to" section that we could help the people just getting into this hobby.

Let me know what you think

Though I do all my own paint and body work, I would be a horrible example to follow.
I paint outside, on gravel, with an inexpensive gun and an underrated compressor in my back yard.

On the other hand, I might be a good example of what someone can get away with :D

corner.jpeg

Been doing body and paint for over 50 something years and I'm not the best but I am willing to help. I'm not a good teacher but what the heck better than nothing.

I’m in the middle of a major restoration. I just find the YouTube channels that seem to know what they are doing. There is a ton of potential topics including priming, painting , welding, dent removal, setting gaps, etc. I also use autobody101 but you got to sort the wheat from the chaff. There has been some useful threads here too.

Though I do all my own paint and body work, I would be a horrible example to follow.
I paint outside, on gravel, with an inexpensive gun and an underrated compressor in my back yard.

On the other hand, I might be a good example of what someone can get away with :D

View attachment 1716176509
LOL, Awesome. I want to see you're wright up. Because that's how I want to do it. Because that's how I'll have to do it.

View attachment 1716176509
Well i mean regardless, it looks pretty good from here. Some kids are good with a 10/10 car or 50/50 car.

I have never painted a car myself. I did help my friend and cousin block sand my car when my friend primered it. I did paint the jambs and gutters as well as the engine bay but it was with a prevail sprayer and there was so many runs lol.

I figured if some you fella chippped in on how to do it properly and how to do it on a budget it would cover the people like myself to those who want to do it the right way but do it themselves

Been doing body and paint for over 50 something years and I'm not the best but I am willing to help. I'm not a good teacher but what the heck better than nothing.
would be awesome. my idea is how to prep from a rusty car or a fresh car and cover different situations

would be awesome. my idea is how to prep from a rusty car or a fresh car and cover different situations
Well depends on how rusty. You can use an acid etch if light rust and for heavy rust sand blast but you need to be carful not to warp the sheet metal with a big sand blaster. Epoxy prime with a good brand to seal the metal after you get all the rust off. and most defiantly clean the bare metal with a prep solvent.
My car after 3 years after I restored it and 10,000 miles on it with some long trips.

IMG_20230526_130956374_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20230512_145900563_HDR.jpg

Well depends on how rusty. You can use an acid etch if light rust and for heavy rust sand blast but you need to be carful not to warp the sheet metal with a big sand blaster. Epoxy prime with a good brand to seal the metal after you get all the rust off. and most defiantly clean the bare metal with a prep solvent.
My car after 3 years after I restored it and 10,000 miles on it with some long trips.

View attachment 1716177292

View attachment 1716177293
Also most important is not to let bare steel sit naked for more than 24 hours before you Epoxy prime. Resand it and clean the metal again if you have too.

Well i mean regardless, it looks pretty good from here. Some kids are good with a 10/10 car or 50/50 car.

I have never painted a car myself. I did help my friend and cousin block sand my car when my friend primered it. I did paint the jambs and gutters as well as the engine bay but it was with a prevail sprayer and there was so many runs lol.

I figured if some you fella chippped in on how to do it properly and how to do it on a budget it would cover the people like myself to those who want to do it the right way but do it themselves

My car is a daily driver that sits outside (no garage)and is regularly in public parking lots, so I’m ok with some imperfections.

The problem I see with a thread about DYI paint and body is the people that will tell us all how we F’d up this or that, and how they would have done better.
Then we end up with a bunch of opinions cluttering up the thread just like oil or spark plug threads.
There are a ton of armchair pros on this site.

This is why I almost never post anything about what I am doing.
I built my Dart license plate light to the front grill and literally everything in between, and it’s been on multiple out of state trips without a single failure or breakdown except for an electric fan controller dying.
I really don’t think I need “opinions” on how it should have been done differently.

That’s what would happen in a DIY paint and body thread.

No thanks.

My car is a daily driver that sits outside (no garage)and is regularly in public parking lots, so I’m ok with some imperfections.

The problem I see with a thread about DYI paint and body is the people that will tell us all how we F’d up this or that, and how they would have done better.
Then we end up with a bunch of opinions cluttering up the thread just like oil or spark plug threads.
There are a ton of armchair pros on this site.

This is why I almost never post anything about what I am doing.
I built my Dart license plate light to the front grill and literally everything in between, and it’s been on multiple out of state trips without a single failure or breakdown except for an electric fan controller dying.
I really don’t think I need “opinions” on how it should have been done differently.

That’s what would happen in a DIY paint and body thread.

No thanks.
thanks for cluttering up this thread with this or that and your "opinion" lol

I'm in. I have been doing body work and painting for 40 years. I am no professional, but I'm pretty good. There are a LOT of videos on YouTube about body work and painting. About 75% of them are garbage produced by no talent hacks who have you fill up a rust hole with steel wool and Bondo. If I (or any of you) come across a good one, let's share the link. Good body work and primer/prep is the key. I usually spend about as much time spraying primer, block sanding primer and fixing irregularities found as I do on the actual body work. Now major rust repair is a different matter. The YouTube channel Fitzee's Fabrications is an excellent source on rust repair. I think we might want to break it down into Rust Repair, Panel Replacement, Body work to include dents and body work needed after rust repairs and panel replacement emphasis on proper filler use), priming (including types of primers to use), block sanding primer, filling and sanding minor imperfections found during block sanding, final prep, painting and color sand/polish. That sounds like a lot, but those stages seem like a natural progression to me. @TrailBeast mentioned a concern that there could some negative comments aimed at members work and that it could become like some of the "which spark to use" arguments. I think that is a valid point. I would just like to remind people that the idea is to HELP others here. We can prefer different types of primer (that's why there is more than one brand), but I don't like hearing people making snide comments about the brand I like. I like Evercoat primers, you like Upol primers and he likes PPG primers. They are all good and will block sand just fine. Same way with other products like sandpaper and paint. This could be fun.

I'm in. I have been doing body work and painting for 40 years. I am no professional, but I'm pretty good. There are a LOT of videos on YouTube about body work and painting. About 75% of them are garbage produced by no talent hacks who have you fill up a rust hole with steel wool and Bondo. If I (or any of you) come across a good one, let's share the link. Good body work and primer/prep is the key. I usually spend about as much time spraying primer, block sanding primer and fixing irregularities found as I do on the actual body work. Now major rust repair is a different matter. The YouTube channel Fitzee's Fabrications is an excellent source on rust repair. I think we might want to break it down into Rust Repair, Panel Replacement, Body work to include dents and body work needed after rust repairs and panel replacement emphasis on proper filler use), priming (including types of primers to use), block sanding primer, filling and sanding minor imperfections found during block sanding, final prep, painting and color sand/polish. That sounds like a lot, but those stages seem like a natural progression to me. @TrailBeast mentioned a concern that there could some negative comments aimed at members work and that it could become like some of the "which spark to use" arguments. I think that is a valid point. I would just like to remind people that the idea is to HELP others here. We can prefer different types of primer (that's why there is more than one brand), but I don't like hearing people making snide comments about the brand I like. I like Evercoat primers, you like Upol primers and he likes PPG primers. They are all good and will block sand just fine. Same way with other products like sandpaper and paint. This could be fun.
Totally agree harrisonm seen to many guys looking for answers and get a pile of guys answering with different ideas and arguing about it.
I can go to the political forum if I want an argument but would rather not.

This thread is kinda turning into word salad . Time to unwatch.

And someone immediately makes my point.
Yes, you did lol. My reply was sarcasm to prove that your post was what you were posting about.

Whether someones opinion is posted or not. I want to help make the thread regardless.

Just my $0.02...

I thoroughly restored a 1956 jukebox a few years back, and I found that documenting and posting everything is a lot of work.

While I like the general idea of this, for anyone considering contributing, know that this could take a considerable amount of your time. Possibly more than you had bargained for.

Just my $0.02...

I thoroughly restored a 1956 jukebox a few years back, and I found that documenting and posting everything is a lot of work.

While I like the general idea of this, for anyone considering contributing, know that this could take a considerable amount of your time. Possibly more than you had bargained for.
Anyone who is willing to contribute, wouldn't have an issue with this. But it looks like this thread is just going to get dog piled with comments that aren't productive in helping the purpose of the thread which was to do a HOW TO.

So thank you to everyone for your comments and willingness to help, but from this point forward can we please just try to keep it to those who want to keep this PRODUCTIVE?

-
Back