Paint booth fire suppression system advise

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
Anybody know anything about a Ansul Dry Chemical fire suppression system? How to disarm it and safely remove the 50lb bottles? It is set up on a paint booth and I have to remove it. It uses 2 50lb bottles of dry chemical. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG

Never been into the fire system on one other then accidentally setting one off painting the roof of a conversion van. Man that was a mess.

This advice comes from someone who does a lot of lease termination/relocation projects. If it was me, I would have a fire/life safety contractor disarm it for you.

I guess my biggest question is, is there a valve to close the bottles before I take off the brass fittings that the actuator hose connects to?

Looks like it uses a mini nitrogen tank in the panel to shuttle a valve in the bottles. Should be able to open the panel and remove the nitrogen tank after disconnecting the manifold to the bottles. Careful, the nitrogen tank likely uses a needle on the other side of the FIRE button to rupture a disc. High pressure stuff.

Doesn't look like it uses a squib unless there is hard wiring and a battery. If there is a squib or you are unsure, seek a professional.

This advice comes from someone who does a lot of lease termination/relocation projects. If it was me, I would have a fire/life safety contractor disarm it for you.

+1 to this recommendation.

Got it done. Called a local company and the owner came out and disarmed it for me. I also got the electricity, gas and fire alarm disconnected. So today I started disassembly.

-
Back