paint code for demon hood blackout

-

EL5DEMON340

Reaction score
may try a do it yourself amateur repaint of my hood to the original look, its gloss black now but pretty sure it was the semi flat originally ( any recollection C ?) anyone have the paint code? Thanks Anyone a painter in the chicago area??

Attachments

• 71 Demon 340 (73) (1280x960).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,314
  • 002.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 541
not sure i understand, i'm only going to paint the black, not the EL5, do you mean the side stripe being semi gloss?

To my knowledge, All blackout treatments has what is called black organosol paint....

To my knowledge, All blackout treatments has what is called black organosol paint....
This is correct. Not a smooth semi or flat but a texture finish. Should have the code in home computer, but at work right now on smart phone. If no one fill in the blanks will look and post after midnight.

may try a do it yourself amateur repaint of my hood to the original look, its gloss black now but pretty sure it was the semi flat originally ( any recollection C ?) anyone have the paint code? Thanks Anyone a painter in the chicago area??

Looks like you original hood black out didn't have a border stripe?

For some reason I thought I've seen a picture of an original paint 71 Demon this way. But I don't have the picture or link, so I have no proof.

There should be a paint code in the manual. I would not assume it's the same organisol as T/A and AAR hood/body blackout. I could be. But there should be documention/paint codes and original cars to help prove it.

That car definately came with a textured flat black hood treatment. It was impossible to wax LOL :thumrigh:

From the pics I sent U & best recollection, there was NO stripe around the hood treatment.

Good to see 'ya here and ask away :D

Looks like you original hood black out didn't have a border stripe?

For some reason I thought I've seen a picture of an original paint 71 Demon this way. But I don't have the picture or link, so I have no proof.

There should be a paint code in the manual. I would not assume it's the same organisol as T/A and AAR hood/body blackout. I could be. But there should be documention/paint codes and original cars to help prove it.
There were few demons without the border stripe and a lot did not have the dodge emblem on the hood, the old pic is from 1975 original paint and the emblem present. to add some validity to the hood differences about 2 years ago there was a centerfold spread in muscle car review that showed Mr Norm in front of his dealership in march i think of 71 releasing a 71 GSS demon to a editor of some mag from back in the day and that demon had the borderless blackout and the emblem. i use to prefer the bordered style but the borderless is growing on me... looks "mean" i'll try to scan the pic tomorrow.

From the pics I sent U & best recollection, there was NO stripe around the hood treatment.

Good to see 'ya here and ask away :D
I agree definitely no border on the hood, i was wondering about the side stripes i see flat and gloss are offered if i remember correctly the tag does not specify what sheen.

Looks like flat black to me:

71_Dart0008.jpg

Getting the right textured organisol is tough. Going into a paint store with just some paint numbers is not going to do the trick. I think the ingredients they can choose from have changed over the years. At the least you will need a spray out test.

The stuff Frank Baldason sells over the counter is the best for the correct roughness like you see on T/A and AAR's. Looks awesome.

heres the scan, said it was for a May story in hot rod.. GSS demon ran a 13.8 at 100.6 with air cleaner removed, mechanical carb linkage, and traction bars. this was a 3 speed car. So maybe this car is a march or April build and the factory was tired of messing with the border????

Attachments

• norms demon 001.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 429
What a cool pic of the GSS in front of the old Grand Spaulding Dodge dealership. Mr. Norm is supposed to be honored this year @ the MATS show in Vegas next month. 50 year celebration 8-)

Thats what i needed to know, do you remember if the stripe was gloss or flat black? Thanks C :D

I'm pretty sure the side stripes were flat black too.

Please post some pics after you paint the hood. I know it'll be perfect!!

I used Organasol that I bought from Year One. Sprayed it on and it came out like cotton candy - very fibrous. I knocked it down with a Scothbrite pad and then rubbed it with reducer on a rag to bring the black color back. After ten years, it still looks great!

-
Back