Paint Colors and forgiveness...

-

Jplush

Reaction score
Hey all! My car is far from paint but occasionally I like to step away from the rust and dream of beautiful paint. My question is this... I am doing the majority of the body work myself. I worked in a body shop when I was in high school. Unfortunately that was about 25 years ago and I haven't done much since. I'm taking my time and doing the best that I can, but I know that there will be some imperfections. I know that white hides and black shows everything. What about silver and grays? I have found a few that I really like. Any suggestions? Color suggestions? She is a '68 Barracuda vert, black interior.

Candy Lemon. That way it's to bright to look at without squinting.

2014_02_13_09_56_18.jpg

Body and paint, A big expense but also a huge part of resale value. So the goal should be to get it so slick that you could spray it black.

Body and paint, A big expense but also a huge part of resale value. So the goal should be to get it so slick that you could spray it black.

I intend to do my best! I just lean more towards the silvers and grays more so than black. Was just curious if you guys had some suggestions. I do like this...

1967-barracuda-convertible.jpg

Some of the greys are really nice, and look classy in my opinion.
My favorite is the light gunmetal grey.
CHECK OUT MEMBER 68CUDAAUTO UNDER HIS 18"TORQUE THRUST WHEEL POST. HIS CAR IS GORGEOUS. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF HIS CHOICE OF COLOR. I MAY PAINT MY 68 DART GT THIS COLOR WITH MAROON STRIPES. SCAMPMAN

CHECK OUT MEMBER 68CUDAAUTO UNDER HIS 18"TORQUE THRUST WHEEL POST. HIS CAR IS GORGEOUS. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF HIS CHOICE OF COLOR. I MAY PAINT MY 68 DART GT THIS COLOR WITH MAROON STRIPES. SCAMPMAN
I like it as well. It looks close to the color of my '05 Sierra.

Yea, I like that color.
Clean and conservative look.

Yea, I like that color.
Clean and conservative look.
I THOUGHT THE SAME THING. I WANT A SUBTLE COLOR LIKE I HAD ON MY 73 SCAMP. IT WAS JY9 AND A BRONZE/BROWN METALLIC MOPAR COLOR. MY DART GT IS PP1 RED. I WANT TO CHANGE THAT BUT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I WANT TO PUT ON IT. SO MANY COLORS TO CHOOSE FROM OUT THERE. I WILL JUST KEEP LOOKING AT THE NEWER CARS COMING OUT AND MAYBE I WILL LUCK OUT AND SEE SOMETHING I LIKE GOING DOWN THE ROAD.

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING. I WANT A SUBTLE COLOR LIKE I HAD ON MY 73 SCAMP. IT WAS JY9 AND A BRONZE/BROWN METALLIC MOPAR COLOR. MY DART GT IS PP1 RED. I WANT TO CHANGE THAT BUT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I WANT TO PUT ON IT. SO MANY COLORS TO CHOOSE FROM OUT THERE. I WILL JUST KEEP LOOKING AT THE NEWER CARS COMING OUT AND MAYBE I WILL LUCK OUT AND SEE SOMETHING I LIKE GOING DOWN THE ROAD.

I can't even consider anything but red and white on my Dart, and it's my daily driver, so it can't be anything special anyway.

I can't even consider anything but red and white on my Dart, and it's my daily driver, so it can't be anything special anyway.
IF I STAY WITH THE RED, I WANT IT TO LOOK REALLY DEEP. HERE IN FLORIDA THE SUN IS A REAL ENEMY, I HAVE A $600 CAR COVER ON IT NOW WHICH I THINK WOULD KEEP IT FROM FADING, BUT THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES IT WILL NOT FADE. UNFORTUNATELY I HAVE A 1 CAR GARAGE THAT THE CAR WILL NOT FIT IN. I CANNOT AFFORD A STORAGE UNIT EITHER ON MY FIXED INCOME. I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO SPEND ALOT OF TIME THINKING ABOUT COLORS FOR IT.

IF I STAY WITH THE RED, I WANT IT TO LOOK REALLY DEEP. HERE IN FLORIDA THE SUN IS A REAL ENEMY, I HAVE A $600 CAR COVER ON IT NOW WHICH I THINK WOULD KEEP IT FROM FADING, BUT THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES IT WILL NOT FADE. UNFORTUNATELY I HAVE A 1 CAR GARAGE THAT THE CAR WILL NOT FIT IN. I CANNOT AFFORD A STORAGE UNIT EITHER ON MY FIXED INCOME. I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO SPEND ALOT OF TIME THINKING ABOUT COLORS FOR IT.

In my case a white roof was mandatory for Arizona and no AC. :D
That is the original Route 66 right behind me in Kingman AZ.

IMG_0275.JPG

I painted my 55 Chev Bel Air 2D hardtop gunmetal metallic gray Imron back in the day. I loved that car and color. Diamond tucked metallic blue interior upholstery and blue interior paint on metal trim
it was a good combination.

As previously stated do it your way. In my opinion perfect does not exist. If you think it's perfect someone else could look at it and say " yeah but" . And if they say it's perfect you could point at it and say the same. Do it as you like to your standards and enjoy.
Yote

Thanks guys. Not looking for perfect, she's gonna be driven. Again, just lookin for some ideas and input.

Light and bright hides. But sanding blocks and guide coat fixes the issue lol The longer the block the better.

Color choice makes no difference. A straight body is just that. color will not hide bad body work. The myth of painting a car white because of bad body work is just not true. The same goes for Black. the body work is the foundation of your paint. If not done right it will show.

-
Back