Paint daub’s/inspection mark’s

-

oem6pak

pure stock forever
Reaction score
Going to reassemble the 8 3/4 in my 69 Swinger tomorrow,does anyone have any pic’s of inspection marks or paint daubs on their 8 3/4? Thx in adv

I think there are restoration book that cover that stuff.

MMC Detroit Dave Wise books cover such

I can not get to MMCDetroit.com right not I get redirected to an online pharmacy.

No two cars are exactly the same that way.

The general rule of thumb for a true restoration is to document the ones found on your car, then replicate them.

Your car was there when it was built, so it is the best reference for details like this - no book writer was there documenting your car as it was built. ;-)

That's true.
I'm sure every guy working on an assembly line had their own style of how they marked things.
I would search around on line and get some examples, then mark it to what you see fit.
I don't think anyone is going to question it, as long as you have the basic areas and colors covered.
Heres an Interesting article on markings (B body of course).
Gallery: '66-'70 B-Body 8.75 Rear Differential Identifiers & Markings - Mopar Connection Magazine | A comprehensive daily resource for Mopar enthusiast news, features and the latest Mopar tech

Last edited:
I didn't see much on A body's.
Mostly B and E
I agree that most books cover B and E body, but they were assembled at about the same time on similar assembly lines, by similar workers and rules. IMHO many of the markings would be the same, especially from the same assy plant.

I agree that documenting your particular car is the best way to remark it after restoration.

Regarding 8 3/4...
I have seen colored stripes under the pinion of the center section that dictated the ratio and sure grip etc

Here are a few pictures of the axle paint markings that I found on my 69 GTS.

100_3165.JPG

100_3166.JPG

100_3167.JPG

100_3168.JPG

At the very least
back of centre section in large yellow.....EA (E for 1969 and A for A body)
Orange splash on fill plug if suregrip.
But there are other marks too for gear ratios

Thx you guys those pic’s were exactly what i was looking for,gonna get’er done today

Read here. Kent has documented his 69 340 swinger disassembly very well:

what #s to paint stamp onto 71 cuda 8 3/4 ?

being that it’s also a 69 340 dart (swinger/GTS) these mark could apply to your car well.

Not sure if axle assembly came to the final assembly factory as an complete rear axle assembly from another plant. I believe it did, that’s why there’s a 3-digit ID code for them.

Last edited:
Read here. Kent has documented his 69 340 swinger disassembly very well:

what #s to paint stamp onto 71 cuda 8 3/4 ?

being that it’s also a 69 340 dart (swinger/GTS) these mark could apply to your car well.

Not sure if axle assembly came to the final assembly factory as an complete rear axle assembly from another plant. I believe it did, that’s why there’s a 3-digit ID code for them.

it might be a good idea to look through kentj340’s post history over there. I know you will find valuable information

All Posts Made By kentj340 - Moparts Forums

-
Back