paint discoloration?

-

74slnt6

Reaction score
ok, so i took of the trim pieces that go down the side of my car ( see sig, shows the black/plastic chrome piece down the side ) no paint came off at all, but the paint underneath kind of had a light yellow-greenish tint. anyone know of how to get rid of this? wetsand? buff? didnt try anythin but polishing compound so far, no real results... any thoughts?

ive been debating on taking mine off but i think there would be a stripe down the side

i just heated mine up on the ends to make it loose and ripped it off slowly. no paint cam at all... but then again my duster was repainted in like 87 or somethin and they did a horrible job, so they might not even of had it on right who knows

i bet it is from all the dirt stuck in there over the years and getin wet so i bet it discolored all the paint thru there. if not it will be faded different anyways so you might just have to live with it, paint it, or put the trim back on

You might try Claybar, it does a grat job of cleaning paint containments. Also, a body stripe would look real nice!

It sounds like the solvent in the molding adhesive penetrated the paint layers.

In most cases that discoloration you see won't compound/polish off.

I suggest color sanding a very small area with 1000 or 1500 grit wet paper, followed by 3M Finesse It II polishing compound and 3M hand glaze.

If that doesn't do it you are looking at a repaint.

sscuda

-
Back