Paint experts...I need some help...!

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a formula for 1967 TT1 - Medium Copper Metallic in water-borne. Dupont would be preferable. I'm not having any luck locally.

(I'd even settle for a solvent formula at this stage)

Any help would be appreciated.

JB won't mix it for you? they had all the old formula books when I painted the grand prix ,I spent 2 hours in the parking lot picking a colour lol . Who"s painting over that OE patina for you ?
A quick search shows it as DitzlerPPG#22706 . Dupont #s 4808L, 4808, 4808D I don't know what the difference is between the three dupont codes

Chris...thanks. I have those numbers, and even with those and camera-shots they can't get the color right. I must have 10 spray cards here that are either way-light or way-dark.

Patina!!!...LOL!

Chris...thanks. I have those numbers, and even with those and camera-shots they can't get the color right. I must have 10 spray cards here that are either way-light or way-dark.

Patina!!!...LOL!

Is that a translucent colour like my turdbind bronze ? I found there was a big difference in colour between how many layers of colour and what shade of primer I used underneath , in my case the colour I wanted looked best to me over a dark grey primer , you could try getting a spray bomb loaded and a nice sized square of scrap sheet metal to experiment with some different primers.
I can't wait to see her shine in her new skin not that she don't look good now

PS yes I like making the spell check flag canadian spelling

I found an exact match to my "gold poly" with Sherwin-Williams automotive paint just by calling the 800 number off their website and giving them the paint code I had. It was a base/clear I don't know if that's what you want...but it turned out very nice.

The one time I had to do this by the numbers, I was tracking down A4 silver for a '66 Dart GT. The only place I could find undisturbed original paint was at the front of the underside of the transmission tunnel. I went into a PPG store and had them mix up a quart of A4 for the '66. It matched my undisturbed paint perfectly. I was really surprised because the paint used 7 or 8 different pigments.

The suggestion is, find undisturbed paint and compare your swatches. The outside finish of the car may be nice, but it has been exposed to 34 years of sun, smog, waxes, and other stuff. Good luck.

The one time I had to do this by the numbers, I was tracking down A4 silver for a '66 Dart GT. The only place I could find undisturbed original paint was at the front of the underside of the transmission tunnel. I went into a PPG store and had them mix up a quart of A4 for the '66. It matched my undisturbed paint perfectly. I was really surprised because the paint used 7 or 8 different pigments.

The suggestion is, find undisturbed paint and compare your swatches. The outside finish of the car may be nice, but it has been exposed to 34 years of sun, smog, waxes, and other stuff. Good luck.

2 Darts...Yup, thats what I've done. The trunk finish panel and the drivers fender "Dart GT" emblem have never been off the car, and those are the places I am using for paint comparisons. That is also where the paint suppliers did the camera shots.

I found an exact match to my "gold poly" with Sherwin-Williams automotive paint just by calling the 800 number off their website and giving them the paint code I had. It was a base/clear I don't know if that's what you want...but it turned out very nice.

goldfish...I have contacted SW by email...awaiting an answer...soon I hope. Base/clear would be fine with me. Here in B.C. (Bring Cash) Canada, the gubmint is pushing the water-borne stuff, and the solvent-borne is hard to get.

Thanks for all the replys.

-
Back