Paint gun

-

Toolman

Reaction score
Ok... I'm looking for a gun to shoot my epoxy primer...and to shoot finish color (Or should I get two separate guns)? I have a 5hp 80gal. tank Quincy compressor so air is not an issue. I'm looking for a decent quality HVLP type gun.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
(I also have an older 2 stage turbine air system from TIP...anybody use a turbine system)?
Thanks.

I have a 6 (or so) year old Devilbis Finish Line FLG3 (I think they sell FLG4s now) that I retired to only primer duties. This polyester primer was shot with it. Depending on primer type, I use a 1.8, 2.0 or 2.2 tip. The gun has always worked well for all finishes. They aren't that expensive, and if you put a 1.4 tip on it, you can spray a killer paint job. Yes you can get a cheaper gun, but I love my Devilbis guns. I also have a Devilbis Tekna Copper that sprays very nicely (recently paint my 69 fastback with it) and a Devilbis SRI Pro touch up gun that is awesome. I've used the high dollar guns, but I like Devilbis.

Attachments

• Cuda 12.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 212
  • Cuda 11.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Cuda 90.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 204
The DeVilbis that I used the other day to shoot an AAR worked ok. I will say, though, that the Sata Jet and Iwata guns have a nicer pattern for metallics, but it only takes lighter passes with more coats and a faster arm to get more even metallic layout with a less expensive gun.

The HF gun works great. Just clean the daylights out of it/ take it apart before use and after use, between materials/ color changes.

Epoxy primer may not be the most challenging thing you're going to shoot. If you also plan to spray your own high build primer surfacer, you'll need to make sure your gun has a large enough tip. The Harbor Freight gun I used came with two different tips and has worked fine for primer. It's the larger gun that comes in the 2 gun set.

I left the base coat and clear coat to a professional, but if you're planning to do that as well, I'd say get a better gun. My car was shot with a Blue Point gun, but I have no idea which one.

-
Back