Paint help

-

WTruo

Reaction score
16092050970352189285979117512454.jpg

I painted some control arms with this paint.
But after handling it I feel like they are chipping way too easily.

I thought I did good prep work. I sanded everything down to metal. Then wiped it down with B12 to remove any residue or oil.

Am I using the incorrect paint and primer? Or am I leaving the surface wrong?

I appreciate any help or advice.

The B12 was your mistake. It does not as they say emulsify. It leaves residue behind. If you want something that evaporates completely, denatured alcohol is your friend.

View attachment 1715659151
I painted some control arms with this paint.
But after handling it I feel like they are chipping way too easily.

I thought I did good prep work. I sanded everything down to metal. Then wiped it down with B12 to remove any residue or oil.

Am I using the incorrect paint and primer? Or am I leaving the surface wrong?

I appreciate any help or advice.
I wonder about that high heat engine paint needing to kind of bake on because the engine gets hot? Doesn't sound like anything in your preparation sounds bad... I know control arms are very susceptible to road gravel or whatever comes flying up at them... I don't know a lot about paint though it doesn't seem like anything that I wouldn't have tried myself...

The B12 was your mistake. It does not as they say emulsify. It leaves residue behind. If you want something that evaporates completely, denatured alcohol is your friend.
See there you go I learn something new. I use carb cleaner on all metals before I paint them to get the oilly off of them and here I was leaving oil...

Well dang! Hopefully the control arms hold up lol! I'll get some alcohol in the a.m. I got some more parts to paint. Thanks!!

I usually clean with Eastwood's or 3M paint prep. Then I use good ol' Rustolium Matt Black. Looks great & holds up well. But I am not going for concourse points either. Just my 2 cents worth.

That high heat stuff needs an hour on the BBQ! I painted some headers high heat silver and 6 month later when I was installing them my hands were silver! Look at the instructions, I bet you it says must be heat cured. That ceramic white works great on headers.

That high heat stuff needs an hour on the BBQ! I painted some headers high heat silver and 6 month later when I was installing them my hands were silver! Look at the instructions, I bet you it says must be heat cured. That ceramic white works great on headers.

Actually it dosen't, just says it dries in 1 hour and can be handled after 3.

I wonder about that high heat engine paint needing to kind of bake on because the engine gets hot? Doesn't sound like anything in your preparation sounds bad... I know control arms are very susceptible to road gravel or whatever comes flying up at them... I don't know a lot about paint though it doesn't seem like anything that I wouldn't have tried myself...

Thats what I thought too but it dosen't say anywhere on the can about baking it. Maybe they just assume I got it because ill be painting something that will get hot. If so my mistake.

200 to 250F for 20 minutes use to be the recommendation for their engine enamel, shortly after painting. Old oven or you could use a heat gun.

I completely suck at painting, doesn't matter what type. However, I used rattle cans on my '72 Fury's 360 and it came out "ok". I used high temp silver on the stock exhaust manifolds after cleaning them really well. The can said install engine parts and bring up to operating temp for something like 20-30 minutes. That wasn't possible at the time. So, I turned the oven on to "clean" (highest heat it would go) and put them in there to cure. Did my (ex) wife approve? I don't know, she was out of town with the boys at a soccer tournament and I wasn't about to tell her I was cooking car parts while she was gone, lol. The paint held up pretty well for about 5 years, but when I pull the engine again, they'll get re-done. This time if I can't get them ceramic coated, I'll use the grill like @pishta said above.

200 to 250F for 20 minutes use to be the recommendation for their engine enamel, shortly after painting. Old oven or you could use a heat gun.

I'm gonna try the heat gun. I actually need one so this is the perfect excuse to buy one!

Heat guns are great, but this is not the time to use it. Not enough heat over the entire part. Our gas BBQ get up to 500F in about 4 minutes and you just pop em in there and let them bake for an hour. Easy to air out, just open the hood! Good luck. That header paint was rock hard after it cooled after the first heat cycle.

I know one thing for sure don't put your car parts in with the Thanksgiving turkey LOL... (Ask me how I know...)..:D..
Wife: what did you just put in the oven?..
Me: the harmonic balancer...
Wife: GET THAT DAMN THING OUT OF THERE!!..
ME......
B9909D2D-106A-4A23-9C05-3386985334E3.jpeg

Heat guns are great, but this is not the time to use it. Not enough heat over the entire part. Our gas BBQ get up to 500F in about 4 minutes and you just pop em in there and let them bake for an hour. Easy to air out, just open the hood! Good luck. That header paint was rock hard after it cooled after the first heat cycle.

Ok ill buy a $500 gas grill tomorrow at home depot just to cook my control arms. Best investment ever!

$149 at Walmart. Ad you can cook dinner on it after your done. Go charcoal and find them on trash day in the alleys.

I know one thing for sure don't put your car parts in with the Thanksgiving turkey LOL... (Ask me how I know...)..:D..
Wife: what did you just put in the oven?..
Me: the harmonic balancer...
Wife: GET THAT DAMN THING OUT OF THERE!!..
ME......
View attachment 1715659180
Yeah, that would have happened if she were home, but all 3 boys played on different teams, so she was gone a lot of weekends. I spent mine restoring the Fury. As much as I spent on it (time and money), I think she spent more on soccer (and gave me access to the stove, lol).

I prefer denatured alcohol because 1) it works and 2) it's WAY cheaper than brake cleaner. Whatever you use just make sure it evaporates and leaves no residue.

I used rustoleum primer and paint. It turned out really nice but it is chipping some already. Not bad but its there. I figure its under the car noone will ever know but me so oh well. It looked good for its photo shoot during assembly after that its just cosmetic anyway

-
Back