Paint ideas

-

hemifish69

Dain bramaged Hemi freak
Reaction score
I don't exactly like the idea of paying huge amounts of money for a paint job I know I'll chip/scratch/otherwise mess up. So how's this for an idea? The original B029 barracudas were delivered with a grey primer body w/ a black gelcoat front clip. I know mine's a '69, but I'm thinking this is the ultimate low-buck paint job...... :la:

The only problem with using primer as a topcoat is that it isn't UV resistant, and most primers aren't even moisture resistant. In fact, a lot of primers will act like a sponge, and pretty soon you will have major rust breaking through the primer. Have you ever tried doing bodywork before, or do you have any tools or a location to do your own? It really isn't that difficult if you set your mind to it, and if you can do the bodywork, you could always farm out the actual paint job itself. There's a wealth of information available to assist you if you're interested. Hope this helps. ;)

I've done bodywork before, I just hate it. I was thinking actual matte or satin grey rustoleum for the primer look. BTW this is a result of the thread I was in back on Moparts discussing the impending '07 EPA Point of Sale restrictions on automotive bodywork products. The envirofacists strike again!!!!! :geek:

I have been in the body and paint business for way too many years to count now. Primer has changed with the times. Todays self etching, urethane and epoxy primers offer great coverage and durability unlike the laquer primer of long ago. If you strip the car, put it in self etching primer, then do the bodywork and put two or three coats of epxoy primer, it should last for a very long time.

Actually, this might look pretty cool. Maybe add some steelies out back, raise the front end a little for a gasser look, couple of "Moon" decals......hmmm, where was I? lost my train of thought, lookin at your avatar.

-
Back