Paint inside of valve covers?

-

sharpie

workin' stiff
Reaction score
I pulled some Magnum valve covers out of the junkyard this weekend, and have a couple questions:

First, should I paint the inside with hi-temp paint, or will regular rustoleum semi-flat black be okay?

Also, because these things were so gunky, I chiseled the long baffle off of one so I could clean under it. Does the valve cover really need a baffle? Can I run it without one?

Without that baffel you run the risk of oil being tossed directly into the breather or filler cap which could result in leaks.
As for painting the inside of the cover, I would not, just clean it up well. It will be well oiled and why run the risk of paint flaking and getting into your oil system.

I pulled some Magnum valve covers out of the junkyard this weekend, and have a couple questions:

First, should I paint the inside with hi-temp paint, or will regular rustoleum semi-flat black be okay?

Also, because these things were so gunky, I chiseled the long baffle off of one so I could clean under it. Does the valve cover really need a baffle? Can I run it without one?
PAINT THE INSIDE OF COVER....NO NO NO NO NO................and why would you want to....The baffel is their to keep oil from splashing out...or away from certain components in the engine.....

Although I have always painted the inside of my engine blocks to both seal the casting and aid oil drainback to the pan, I've never painted the inside of a valve cover. I don't think it's necessary.
In regards to concerns about paint flaking or failing, I've never seen evidence of that during subsequent teardowns of engines I've put together.
Just my 2-cents worth.

It's interesting though, because the stock valve covers had black paint on the inside. I know, because I spent an hour wire-wheeling it all off. As for the baffle, I might fab something up, but the old one's toast.

You definitely need need baffles unless you don't care if your engine looks like crap in 500 miles. When I bought my Cuda it had new Mopar perf. valve covers on it with no baffles and every time I drove it the area around the breather would be oiled up. New engine too with no blow-by. I made a set of baffles and installed them and it stays clean now.

I do use a spray I get from an electric motor service to lightly seal my heads and rocker valley to seal the block.
It's called Big Red Insulator Spray Kote by EIS/HOLDEN. Use too much though and it can have a tendancy to not stick as well. Helps with oil drain back.

I have never come across a factory valve cover, MoPar, Chebby, or Furd, that had paint on the inside. It would be a horror if your oil filter clogged on a road trip.

I do use a spray I get from an electric motor service to lightly seal my heads and rocker valley to seal the block.
It's called Big Red Insulator Spray Kote by EIS/HOLDEN. Use too much though and it can have a tendancy to not stick as well. Helps with oil drain back.

I've got a similar product called "Glyptal" that is the same as your product......Works great and racers have used it for decades

I agree with the above posts...I have never seen valve covers that were painted on the inside. I wouldn't do it.

You should be OK without the baffle, I ran without them for 90k miles with no problems on a Dakota I had because it interferes with 1.7 rockers.

I've coated a LOT of old valve covers in my day and haven't seen anything on them other than Glyptol, and that's a rarity.

Baffles on aftermarket Magnums are held on with screws.

-
Back