Paint issues

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I painted the interior of my Barracuda yesterday and the paints great. It is a little to shiny, even though I used a flattening agent actually adding more than called for. Secondly, the paint, although looks really smooth has a rough texture if you rub your fingers across it. No fish eyes, no runs and looks amazing, Were my gun setting incorrect, or what advice do you have? Thanks.

I painted the interior of my Barracuda yesterday and the paints great. It is a little to shiny, even though I used a flattening agent actually adding more than called for. Secondly, the paint, although looks really smooth has a rough texture if you rub your fingers across it. No fish eyes, no runs and looks amazing, Were my gun setting incorrect, or what advice do you have? Thanks.

Tadams,

Too much flattening agent will give you the "suede look". Would you describe the finish's texture (appearance) as the "suede look".?

Using lacquer thinner instead of the proper reducer will allow the paint to flash too quickly which will also give you a rough texture.

Check the label on the can to see if it's not a "suede look" material. This look was popular in the late 90's, mostly in GM cars though.

Gun distance, air pressure, stroke speed, overlap, viscosity, too hot ambient air, too much humidity, all these variables play a major role in the appearance of any paint finish..

Did you follow the manufacturers directions to the letter?

That's all I have..........

:glasses7:

Used proper material. If orange peel, what is the cause and solution. Thanks so much for your help

It was very hot yesterday and I was painting outside, but purchased the product that was recommend

I'm thinking the heat is what is getting to you. Maybe a little more of the slow or medium reducer or wait till it is cooler. Were you in the shade?

It was very hot yesterday and I was painting outside, but purchased the product that was recommend

Tadams,

Painting outside in full sun isn't recommended as the surface temp is well above the ideal temp. range.

You are lucky you didn't get solvent popping as well. Or maybe you did and can't see it.

Watersand it all down and do repaint indoors or wait until the sun has set. A slower reducer may help as well.

Good Luck

Shade, painted before noon. Parts were in the sun later while drying. Used slow reducers from the local paint shop. Again, it really looks really smooth. If you didn't feel it you would never know there was an issue. I may leave the parts behind the front seat and just redo the dashboard. Haven't done the doors yet. As far as the shine, it's really shiny. I added more flattening agent than was called for.. Hope you guys help me find the answer before I start the exterior.

Orange peel on paint is as expected as the sun rising tomorrow. Put it on heavier to avoid peel, and you end up with those pesky gravity flow indicators.

i would keep in mind all the things mentioned, then practice on some scrap fenders or what ever. experiement with the pressure, volume, and spray pattern, use a slow reducer, be sure the metal is not hot, keep in mind humidity
back when.... i had a guy that did some of my cars, in summer, he wanted a real slow reducer, and he liked to paint when it was rainey! acrylic enamel went on with a real wet shiney look, but he was a master.

I think my air pressure was to high. Maybe wrong, but was close to 40 psi at the gun. Just watched a video saying spray 26 to 29 psi using a hvlp gun. What do you guys think. If you didn't touch it you would think it was perfect

I think my air pressure was to high. Maybe wrong, but was close to 40 psi at the gun. Just watched a video saying spray 26 to 29 psi using a hvlp gun. What do you guys think. If you didn't touch it you would think it was perfect

Tadams,

The best way to learn to paint is by experimenting with various application techniques and it appears that is what you are doing. And from what I've read so far you are learning to troubleshoot problems at the same time.

It's always a good idea before you use any paint product you aren't intimately familiar with is to read the application instructions first or ask questions of a professional.

Before you put more paint on your parts I suggest spraying a "test panel" first. Try using less air pressure this time and see if that helps alleviate the problem. Also check your stroke speed, overlap, gun distance, fan width, fluid delivery. and gun to target orientation. All these variables affect the end result.

"Good paint jobs just don't happen by themselves. Perfect paint jobs require a little more work"

Good Luck!!!

Tadams,

The best way to learn to paint is by experimenting with various application techniques and it appears that is what you are doing. And from what I've read so far you are learning to troubleshoot problems at the same time.

It's always a good idea before you use any paint product you aren't intimately familiar with is to read the application instructions first or ask questions of a professional.

Before you put more paint on your parts I suggest spraying a "test panel" first. Try using less air pressure this time and see if that helps alleviate the problem. Also check your stroke speed, overlap, gun distance, fan width, fluid delivery. and gun to target orientation. All these variables affect the end result.

"Good paint jobs just don't happen by themselves. Perfect paint jobs require a little more work"

Good Luck!!!
Agreement, here.. ...Tad,you are learning ,on the fly. Gun styles,air pressure ,humidity,even air hose diameter & length affects everything, on a learning curve. Practice, and take great patience.

Orange peel causes:

-Mix not thinned out enough
-Too low temp. of reducer/thinner
-Too low/high gun pressure
-Too far away
-Humidity
-Substandard materials
-Spray gun problems

What kind of paint are you using? It is way to way to hot and humid to try and paint.wait until it cools down.your just like me try and get stuff done and the weather is never right!

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. The first piece I finish looks good. They all actually look good, but have the rough feel. I was using a Dupont paint product. Just spoke to the rep from Dupont and he said using the flattening agent would do that as well. I've not heard that before. This was the first items I've sprayed other than furniture in 30 some years and that was lacquer. Just have to get my feet wet again I guess

-
Back