Paint issues

-

Dragnut

Reaction score
Ok tell me what im doing wrong....I have had this dash down to bare metal twice, wiped with metal prep, primed then painted, I get these spots where the paint will not take. I cant figure it out...

dash.jpg

1. are you running a water separator/air dryer off your compressor?
2. are the spots always in the same spot?

Looks like some sort of contamination on the surface . They sell products you can add to the paint called fish eye reducer that may help but my money is on the surface just not being perfectly clean.Are you wiping it with a naptha based solvent to clean it before shooting? are you going over the surface lightly with a tac cloth? Too much pressure on a tac cloth can leave a residue on the surface too. There are so many things

Looks like some sort of contamination on the surface . They sell products you can add to the paint called fish eye reducer that may help but my money is on the surface just not being perfectly clean.Are you wiping it with a naptha based solvent to clean it before shooting? are you going over the surface lightly with a tac cloth? Too much pressure on a tac cloth can leave a residue on the surface too. There are so many things
yes, I am wiping it with Eastwood metal prep...and the spots are always in the same place

My next move is too take it back down to bare metal and use a lower grit sandpaper to take some more metal off in those spots..

There is something on the surface if it's always in the same place. Perhaps you should sand it with 1000 grit paper real well,wipe it with naptha ,re prime it and wipe it again before you shoot the color coat . Sometimes it's a ***** like this.I used to get this when painting motorcycle gas tanks .Once I ended up putting a water based primer barrier coat on to over come it. That worked

My next move is too take it back down to bare metal and use a lower grit sandpaper to take some more metal off in those spots..

High spots on the metal will cause this, hard time for any type of liquid to stay put on a high spot......

Sorry but no its not high spots, what ever that is the paint wont stick to it, because you said you wiped it with metal prep, its either something coming out of your gun or something the metal prep isn't taking off, I've seen that before and it ended up being wax. Having said that it could be something else, point is its something your paint doesn't like.

What you have are spots of silicone contamination, wax, grease, ecc. Commonly known as fish eyes. You need to remove it back to bare metal and wash it good with wax and grease remover. I would use a primer on it then starting with a light tack coat, then paint.

What you have are spots of silicone contamination, wax, grease, ecc. Commonly known as fish eyes. You need to remove it back to bare metal and wash it good with wax and grease remover. I would use a primer on it then starting with a light tack coat, then paint.
Armourall can cause this and it's not easy to get rid of. Wax and grease remover is definitely the way to go. Use this before you sand and after you sand. Then use a primer sealer. And a wax and grease remover again before applying a color coat. Contamination is your worst enemy and most frustrating too. I've been there also. It can make a grown man wanna cry. Good luck, should be fine.

Just spray a coat of etching primer over the bare metal then your primer or sealer primer .yes you can use a spray can etchi g primer or the 2 part professional stuff. Either way- a light coat is all you need.
Something in the steel is an issue. If not send it for power coating. That covers a lot better than paint. Lol!
Keep us posted.
Joe

Lighter coats and more drying time between them can help as well.
Sometimes with problem areas I will just mist coat something two or three times before the finish coat goes on.

But yea, that's something on the surface.

OK, I blew the photo up on my computer to full screen.
Yes those are "Fish Eyes" in the paint from either oil or wax on the surface.

I would skip the Metal Prep all together. Used to strip and refinish Peterbilt Trucks, would wipe them down with metal prep and then wipe clean with a solvent. The metal prep would come back from behind the rivet heads and create Fish Eyes around them. We quit using the metal prep because of this and just did a coat of Epoxy Primer, let dry properly then paint, no problems. No adhesion problems either.

So you need to go back and strip the dash again. Thoughly sand the bare metal with 180 grit, wipe clean with a fast dry enamel reducer instead of the Wax and Grease Remover, spray on a coat of your favorite Primer Surfacer or Epoxy Sealer, nib sand the dirt out and go on to painting.

And Yes make sure your compressor is not kicking out water. If you get water drips at the trigger of your spray gun or at the air connections then you know you have a problem with your air supply too.

What type of paint are you spraying it with?

Sorry but no its not high spots, what ever that is the paint wont stick to it, because you said you wiped it with metal prep, its either something coming out of your gun or something the metal prep isn't taking off, I've seen that before and it ended up being wax. Having said that it could be something else, point is its something your paint doesn't like.
I don't understa
OK, I blew the photo up on my computer to full screen.
Yes those are "Fish Eyes" in the paint from either oil or wax on the surface.

I would skip the Metal Prep all together. Used to strip and refinish Peterbilt Trucks, would wipe them down with metal prep and then wipe clean with a solvent. The metal prep would come back from behind the rivet heads and create Fish Eyes around them. We quit using the metal prep because of this and just did a coat of Epoxy Primer, let dry properly then paint, no problems. No adhesion problems either.

So you need to go back and strip the dash again. Thoughly sand the bare metal with 180 grit, wipe clean with a fast dry enamel reducer instead of the Wax and Grease Remover, spray on a coat of your favorite Primer Surfacer or Epoxy Sealer, nib sand the dirt out and go on to painting.

And Yes make sure your compressor is not kicking out water. If you get water drips at the trigger of your spray gun or at the air connections then you know you have a problem with your air supply too.
thanks for the advice ... I will try this and see what happens..

Quit using metal prep years ago.
Laquer thinner/pre kleeno all I use.
Then good primer light coats to cover.
Color coat light initial coat(s) .

FWIW
Years ago before base coat clear coat systems, It was either Laquer or Acrylic Enamels.
In the shop I worked at, we used a sealer under all Enamel topcoats to reduce/eliminate the same issues you are having..... (as well as coverage issues)

Dave

Some (maybe all?) metal preps are acid based. If not neutralized can cause reaction. Wax/grease removers ( prostuff) are either water or oil base, this can be a factor?
Silicone base stuff (AmourALL for instance), is the worst stuff that be used IF a car is to every be repainted too!

Got the dash epoxy primed today.....ran out of time so will have to sand and recoat next weekend, got my fingers crossed...good so far!!

-
Back