paint job price

-

mismy69swinger

Reaction score
say your car is stripped and all and dents gone and ecoated what would be a price for a really good paint job

Depends on the person doing it and what they charge per hour and cost of materials etc.. but $2000 sounds like a good ball park estimate. The biggest factor will be the paint you want. Some paint is $20 a quart and some is $100 a pint. Also brand of materials will factor in aswell as how many coats of clear you want lol so dont fixate on $2000 to much cause that can go way down or way up

My shop usually charges $3k-$3500 for a full job not including undersides and jambs for a base clear job that is comparable to those on new oem cars. That is using PPG Global paint and a good clear coat for 3 coats color and 3 coats clear, also includes proffesional cut and buff. Single stage is closer to $2k with all the jambs and undersides painted. Maybe that helps.

First define a really good paint job? Material cost for a top of the line paint would be between 2000-3000. A great paint job starts with the prep. Thats were all your labor is. There are only a few cars we have done in the past under 10K. Depending on how much sheet metal work needs to done. between 10-14K is were most of them fall.

Depends on the paint, could run 1k (or close to it) per gallon. My body guy will not paint a car he did not do the body work on, first question is was it done right? The materials bill for mine was north of 2k........

say your car is stripped and all and dents gone and ecoated what would be a price for a really good paint job

An OEM quality re-paint at my shop starts at $6,500.
That does not include ANY bodywork. It only includes disassembly and re-assembly.

With what you mentioned above, most shops would not give you a warranty. You are still looking at days of blocking from the point you left off for a truly good outcome.

Painting is the easiest part. It's everything before you spray the color and shine that matters.

An OEM quality re-paint at my shop starts at $6,500.
That does not include ANY bodywork. It only includes disassembly and re-assembly.

With what you mentioned above, most shops would not give you a warranty. You are still looking at days of blocking from the point you left off for a truly good outcome.

Painting is the easiest part. It's everything before you spray the color and shine that matters.

X2 And keep in mind, OEM quality is not "Show" quality.

All the dents are NOT gone my friend, sorry. It will need bodywork if your sights are set on a straight finish.

If "all" dents are gone and it's ready for paint. Save yourself a bit more cash and pick up an air compressor and a gun. It's only paint, if it sucks the first time, sand it down and do it again.

First define a really good paint job? Material cost for a top of the line paint would be between 2000-3000. A great paint job starts with the prep. Thats were all your labor is. There are only a few cars we have done in the past under 10K. Depending on how much sheet metal work needs to done. between 10-14K is were most of them fall.

This. Im no professional body guy but I spent a few years doing resto work. A real nice job is going to cost you good money. Good materials arent cheap.

My Duster was rust free and pretty straight when I got it yet every time I block it I find something I missed the last time. I have probably $2000 invested in supplies to do the car "right" and its still in primer.

I hear all the time "I painted my car for $500" Cant say I would be proud of a $500 paint job.

If "all" dents are gone and it's ready for paint. Save yourself a bit more cash and pick up an air compressor and a gun. It's only paint, if it sucks the first time, sand it down and do it again.

Is that what you are going to do to your car......:wack:

some cars are only worthy of a DIY backyard job since they will never be worth what a good paint job is worth

most shops start at $2,000 and won't touch anything that someone else tried first

I think $5000-$7000 ......

Wilson

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 625
  • Ford Ranger 023.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 653
  • Ford Ranger 022.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 643
  • water heater 013.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 602
Did you spray the primer your self? If you did it is about the same for the paint. It is the buffing and wet sanding that can been difficult

You people that are so sure that it isn't dent free suck. Maybe he did all the block work. Are you there? Did you give him a hand? thus giving you the right to complain? No, because you would be tired, I thought not.

If you have a roof over its head, or a nice day, spray it yourself. Save coin and go to harbor freight and pick up the $150 air compressor, $20 hose, and a $15 HVLP gun. + Materials. You'll need a respirator also. You can make one of those cool fresh air masks for about $60.

Link here,

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1303900&postcount=40

Do read up on gun setup, spray techniques, and take a couple practice runs.

Depending on what your going for, You can do alot for $2000. Take a look at TCPglobal restoration line of paint too.

About 10 years ago the factory red that was on a 1993 Ford Probe cost right at $800 with a discount for just the base coat color. Total was about $2700 in everything for just materials. No body work other than minor door dings. Those were all top quality materials at the time.

The paint job on my son's car cost $1500 and that included supplies and labor after we fully prepped the car. But it was painted by a body man in his personal spray booth that he used for side jobs. Not at some rip off soak you dry shop. And prepping the car meant months of blocking and using high quality base and high build primer. Primer and supplies cost me $800, I already had compressor but had to buy everything else.

My original plans were to spray the base and clear myself. But the cost of a good gun and quality paint coupled with the fact I probably would not get it right the first time it just made more sense to farm it out and be done with it:

http://www.billsgarage.info/BodyWorkPaint.shtml

Photo0110.jpg

Photo0071.jpg

Photo0095.jpg

Photo0097.jpg

Photo0100.jpg

Photo0111.jpg

Photo0112.jpg

just the paint and pearls would have been 600.00 for this 30"x14" R/C
airboat hull

How is that wack? Will gives somebody advice to learn how to do something themselves, rather than hiring somebody else to do it, and that's wack.

I agree with Will. I had never done a ladder bar suspension before, until the first time I did it. Now I wouldn't think twice about doing another one. I guess if I was rich or had no technical ability I might think about paying others to do everything for me, but how would I ever learn to do it myself that way? Besides, with all the online videos available now, you can teach yourself to do almost anything. I'm not saying by watching a video you can become a professional body worker, but you have to start somewhere.

mismy69swinger, if you do decide to do it yourself, practice on smaller items first with cheaper paint before moving onto your car. Good luck.

-
Back