Paint Matching?

-

GupsTateS

Reaction score
I'm thinking about taking a trade for my car, the car in trade has been spray primed around the wheel lips. Probably about 2" up.

Is there any way that this could be properly or at least closely matched to the rest of the car. If so does anyone know a cost I would likely have to pay for a shop to do this.

Thanks!

Well, any shop can match any color if the have a GOOD painter. That is a Big if! Or, you can take it a auto paint store and they have a system that can read the paint that is on your car. I think PPG is called "profit". This will insure you have the right colormatch. Now as far as price, this gets tricky! As a Auto damage appraiser, we allow for "spot blend within panel" time to repair chips and scratches or repairs in that panel. Shops hate this and always want full paint time. Usually around $45 per refinish hour at 1.8-2.5 hrs. range then setup plus clearcoat time. Roofs, hoods and decklids around .5-1.5 hrs additional. Some minor deductions for overlap adjacent panels that is usually around .4hrs per adjacent panel. Then at the total of the above you will be charged around $30 for materials at the total refinish time hours plus tax on these materials. This does not include R&I time for trim, bumpers etc.. So, it isn't easy qouting prices without seeing repairs. The labor numbers above are for the Houston area.
I do an ocassional Mopar resto and my labor is $75 an hrs.. When someone chips or scratches a panel and bring it back for repair I charge a flat $250 for the repair including materials.
Sorry for the long example but thats what it runs unless you know someone that can do it in their garage or own their own shop.
Always remeber, you get what you pay for!!

Here we are about the same 300.00 per panel for a blow in and my resto rates start @ 80 an hour.

CUUDAK - Thanks for the detailed reply. Definitely gave me all the info I could need.

66 Dartman - Thanks to you too, pretty much backed up the price dead on.

-
Back