paint my woodtrim!!!

-

73tartdart

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully re-painted their woodtrim on 72-76 dart dash pieces. I've got mine stripped and have a spare to play with...but I'd like to actually simulate the factory look.

I reworked mine and thought that it came out pretty good.

The key to the woodgrain is to use a mixture of rubbing alcohol and black shoe die. Mix the die into the alcohol at about a 10:1 rate but you can make it lighter or darker by adjusting the amount of alcohol. Flow this mixture over the woodgrain and it will flow int the cracks of the plastic and "pop" the grain just like wood stain. It wll dry quickly so you can see the results. I you want to adjust the color just revise your formla and reapply. When you get what you want, let it dry overnight and apply a couple of coats of a satin sealer.
It's pretty easy and I think you will get the results that you want.

100_6086.jpg

thats exactly the answer I needed. Your dash looks amazing!!! When you say 10:1.....which one is the 10? the die? What paint did you use for the brown base? oh yeh....your dash looks great!!!

DartDad, Your dash pieces look great !! 8)

Is it liquid shoe dye you used and any certain brand? Also, did you redo the chrome trim?

DartDad,
I X2 what's been said. That dash looks great!
C

10 parts rubbing alcohol to 1 part BLACK liquid shoe die.

You can add more die if you want to go darker but I would try a 2nd coats of the lighter first. I used Rust-oleum flat brown for the base, let dry completely and then added the wash. Be sure to seal it when your done.
I would strongly suggest using your extra panel as a test piece to get exactly what you want before going on to your good panels.

Have a good time with it and post some pictures when you get it done.

That is one of the great things about this site. The info you can get here is priceless. :cheers:

Great tip DartDad Too. That looks awesome. 8)

Demon,
No certain brand and yes, the trim was redone also. I went with the aluminum look and not chrome but there is some good chrome paint that would work as well.

this might seem elementary but.... does the black not also stay on the top as well as in the grain? Would'nt you have to wipe the panel with a cloth or something to remove the black from the top of the brown?

A small amount of the black will in fact stay on the top and darken the brown. The bulk of the black flows into the grain and pops it out. I guess that you could wipe it but be careful not to pull the black from the cracks. You can play with it until you get the look that you want.

-
Back