Paint or gravel guard.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
I could shoot the P O of this car sometimes. I have 6 hours soaking and scraping about 1/2 inch of undercoating off,why the hell would he do spray undercoating on plastic.Any how,next is to paint them but some scratches are going to be visible, or will rubberize gravel guard work on the plastic these are the front fender shields.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 253
  • 002.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 264
It's illegal to shoot previous owners unless they screwed up the electrical, then it's justifiable homicide.

Undercoating on those could have been OEM. Factory workers sprayed the stuff on anything and everything. I have similar shields and two OEM 67 fan shrouds that have factory undercoating on them.

I would go with the undercoating on those. I'm not sure how happy you would be with the finish if you just painted them black. The painted finish just might crack, peel and flake off. If you use the rubberized undercoating, it should flex a bit and hide any imperfections that a coat of paint might not. Just my 2 cents

There is a '74 Duster close to me for sale. Decent price, but the photos appear to show a Ziebart rustproofing job. Rustproofing under the hood on the inner splash shields and anything in the way of the spray gun. The trunk area looks like it was sprayed. Hard to tell with the carpeted trunk liner in place. I can imagine what the undercarriage looks like. The doors and jambs have plenty of little black "buttons". So much for the decent price.

There is a '74 Duster close to me for sale. Decent price, but the photos appear to show a Ziebart rustproofing job. Rustproofing under the hood on the inner splash shields and anything in the way of the spray gun. The trunk area looks like it was sprayed. Hard to tell with the carpeted trunk liner in place. I can imagine what the undercarriage looks like. The doors and jambs have plenty of little black "buttons". So much for the decent price.

It would of look like mine did .The body shop were not to happy to remove it.lol

Attachments

• 558.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 194
Undercoating on those could have been OEM. Factory workers sprayed the stuff on anything and everything. I have similar shields and two OEM 67 fan shrouds that have factory undercoating on them.

i could see the factory doing that if they were metal buy plastic ?

all cars rec'd complete undercoating from the factory on wheel wells and trunk extensions except California built cars...where there were lots of variations.It was to black everything out cosmetically and also as a sound deadener

The heavy sound deadener on the plastic also helped protect them from stone damage. I have had some cars with it close to 1/2" thick in that area.

-
Back