Paint or Powdercoat exterior trim?

-

jrlegacy23

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
On my 72 Dart, I am am thinking of no chrome on the exterior. The window trims are going to be black. Which would be better, paint or powdercoat? Will the powdercoat be too thick? Will the paint not be durable enough? Any prep work needed for either?
Thanks in advance

I would definitely go with powdercoat, it is much more durable. The trim will need to be sandblasted to prep it. I did this on my '72.
C

Attachments

• DCP_3413.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 210
My car is also blacked out and has been for many years. It's painted and holding up extremely well except for the door handles.

I'll probably have those powder coated one of these days.........

Attachments

• MATS 2011 007.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 166
6pk, that is one fine looking Demon there. :thumrigh: How about a shot of the front, I would like to see what you did there.
For mine, all the chrome was pc, and I painted the grill with a sort of bronze and John Deere satin black. All the pieces look good, but I do not have it assembled yet.
C

6pk, that is one fine looking Demon there. :thumrigh: How about a shot of the front, I would like to see what you did there.
For mine, all the chrome was pc, and I painted the grill with a sort of bronze and John Deere satin black. All the pieces look good, but I do not have it assembled yet.
C

Thanks very much. It's not for the purist by any means, but it's been this way for so long, I kinda' like it :smile:. I actually changed the grill look earlier this year. The turn signals were silver, but I changed 'em to yellow and added the center stripes to the grill. What a PITA it was to mask those lenses :tongue1:.

My main computer crashed and is currently in the hospital getting a transplant I hope, so at the moment I can't post a pic. I sure hope the "surgeon" can save my pics :dontknow:

I love the blackout on a white car and look forward to seeing yours assembled.

Definitely go with the powdercoat. I first did that back in '76 on my '74 TransAm. The black window trim matched the rubber coating on the bumpers and really looked good against the bright red paint. Made the windows look slightly larger too.
It's a good look - you'll be happy with it.

-
Back