Paint Peele

-

Paul King

MrPJK
Reaction score
Hi everyone,I added gas to my Dart and i use Sea Foam ,I spilled a bit and wipped it off right away and the paint curled in a spot like paint stripper just below the gas cap ,anyone ever seen this happen .Thanks

Hi everyone,I added gas to my Dart and i use Sea Foam ,I spilled a bit and wiped it off right away and the paint curled in a spot like paint stripper just below the gas cap ,anyone ever seen this happen .Thanks
Yep. It sucks. Our old Mopars don't like to be filled up with those auto shut off nozzles. (not much choice)

I have read about that situation many times right here on FABO. A lot of it boils down to what type of paint, and/or what type of topcoat/clearcoat was used, it any......

It is an older enamel but a nice paint job .Dont want to paint the whole car but this colour maybe hard to match .
I have read about that situation many times right here on FABO. A lot of it boils down to what type of paint, and/or what type of topcoat/clearcoat was used, it any......

Sucks that happened, hopefully you can find a match and blend it. In the future, maybe carry around a rag to catch any drips? That’s what I do. Gasoline does not like paint.

If it was single stage enamel paint, a hardener should have been added to the mix. Some painters do not add this, IDK maybe to keep the cost down, or maybe they think it is not needed. Whatever someone's enamel I use, I've always ask for their recommendations on "their" hardeners.

@Dicer is correct. If no hardener was added, the paint was never really cured properly even though it feels and looks like it. If you had to recoat that with properly mixed enamel with hardener in it, it would wrinkle. It's a good thing paint technology has changed.

@Dicer is correct. If no hardener was added, the paint was never really cured properly even though it feels and looks like it. If you had to recoat that with properly mixed enamel with hardener in it, it would wrinkle. It's a good thing paint technology has changed.
Im hopeing i can have it spotted in ,might be a hard colour to match .

DSCF1926.JPG

The auto body paint suppliers have spectophotographers for matching paint.

they take a picture of a small section of paint and it gives them a formula to mix a matching paint for you. Need a good autobody painter to help you with the adhesion of the new paint and the touch up.

Can make it a whole lot worse if you are not careful. Dabbing it in with a small paint brush is a good place to start. Otherwise you have to get out the paint gun and pocket book. Paint materials are crazy expensive.

try ERA paints on ebay. they sell rattle bomb touch up kits and if you have a color code they should be able to match it.

if it's not a stock color what so ever, then a local paint supplier should be able to do the same.

good luck! sharp looking car and clean garage!

If it hurt the paint "that quickly" then it's not the fault of the gas. The paint had insufficient additives. Normally, it takes years of spills like that to hurt a good paint job. In fact, I've always used gas for stubborn things like bugs and road tar and never once had an issue. Of course I have a bucket of soapy water and a rag right by so I can wipe and rinse it right off.....not to mention if it's waxed, the wax in that area will need to be reapplied, but I have never had it hurt the paint as quickly as you described. Something wasn't done quite right when your car was painted.

-
Back