Paint prep question/rust problem

-

n66

Reaction score
Hey Guys.

So, I took the nose of the car to work on the fixing the rust/rot on the hood and fenders. Figured while I had it apart I would strip the engine compartment and surrounding pieces and just paint them black (seemed simple enough).

So, I set out with my wire wheels, brushes, and goggles. Finished everything but the firewall. Decided to use eastwood rust dissolver on the areas that were pitted just as a "good measure". Picked up my tools and went to bed. This morning all the areas sprayed with the rust dissolver are coated in rust. Like some kind of rust accelerant.... :wack:

Any thoughts or feedback on what I did wrong or how you prepped for that first new coat of paint? I don't want to put in another 18 hours of cleaning/prep and screw it up again.

--Neil

I am not familiar with this product, have you used it before? Have you tried it on any other areas?
Can you post up a couple pics for us? Is it "rusty brown" or dark blackish looking? Did it rust uniformly, or only on those spots that had rust on them? What was your weather yesterday?
C

I've never used it before, it seemed to be advertising what I needed, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Weather was clear, sunny, and relatively dry. Temperature dropped overnight to about 47. It's overcast/cloudy right now, but it's supposed to clear off.

I know your gonna say BS, but this was bare metal last night at 6:00pm. This is the pic I just took and it's a rusty color for the most part. It rusted pretty uniformly and I did spray that entire area as there was some pitted areas around the battery tray/washer bottle.

Thanks for the response.

Attachments

• Aftermath.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 233
Did you follow the direction on the bottle ? Most of them will say not to use on clean bare metal so if you spray something rusty and get it on the clean metal it can flash rust.

I used a rust convertor called OSPHO. Wipe it over bare metal, or light surface rust. Turned a light blackish color on the rust but I swear by it, not AT it. Less that $20 at a Ace Hardware when I bought.

Attachments

• 1970 Dart 275 (Small).jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 182
Holy crap. I used the Eastwood rust converter on the underside of my car trailer with no problems. You should call Eastwood tech support to find out the next step needed. Clean metal needs to be coated with an etch primer or metal prep first before you add any other top coats. Good luck

Did you follow the direction on the bottle ? Most of them will say not to use on clean bare metal so if you spray something rusty and get it on the clean metal it can flash rust.

I did review what was available before applying, but Nothing on the bottle or website about avoiding bare metal. I'm guessing I probably just shouldn't have put it on. Live and learn. I'll take the advice of seeing if it'll brush off and maybe grab some other stuff to hit the pitted spots.

Thanks guys.

Use CLR and a ScotchBrite pad on that flash rust. It'll come right off. Rinse it, dry it, and prime it.

George

Sand blast it and prime it. Otherwise your not going to be sure that mess is gone.

-
Back