Paint price.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
OK just got an email from the body shop thats doing the Duster.They have given me a quote on the body work and base clear some time ago,I am fine with that.So I went with them to remove the under coating and paint the undercarriage,there quote was fine.Wile back i reminded them we wanted body color for undercarriage about 3 weeks ago.The email they sent that we quoted for black paint for the underside,not in writing tho.WTF is the difference from black vs blue.What would you do.I hope the is not going to be another body and paint from hell again.Thoughts please.

I do know different colors prices are different for the pigments. Raniday just went through this with a project.

Paint prices are based on the cost of the toners in the mix formula. Paint with pearls or red being the highest, and black usually the cheapest. Material costs have skyrocketed in the last few years.

Did '69 Coronet R/T 3 yrs ago, base clear in F8 was around $1500. Doin my Demon now (black) painter told me base/clear will be around $2000.

Don't Cheap out now mopars are supposed to be body colour on the bottom this way no matter what happens the shiney side will always be up... lol..jus sayin

Did '69 Coronet R/T 3 yrs ago, base clear in F8 was around $1500. Doin my Demon now (black) painter told me base/clear will be around $2000.

They Quoted me 1600, 1000 to remove undercoating and 600 for paint,do you mean 2000 just for the cost of the paint.

Don't Cheap out now mopars are supposed to be body colour on the bottom this way no matter what happens the shiney side will always be up... lol..jus sayin

no mopar was ever painted body colour underneath.They were all dipped in anti corrosion 20" deep and then primer.
..the undercarriage would be just primer but there would be some body color overspray

They Quoted me 1600, 1000 to remove undercoating and 600 for paint,do you mean 2000 just for the cost of the paint.

$600 should cover the cost of the paint.

I would say (just for the black ) 600 is about right. You figure 400 to 450 would be for the clear alone, depending on what kind of clear. You can get 500 to 600 rapped up into just the clear alone ( clear, reducer, hardner)

no mopar was ever painted body colour underneath.They were all dipped in anti corrosion 20" deep and then primer.
..the undercarriage would be just primer but there would be some body color overspray

SO what is it on a 66 cuda? (BB) bronze. I've been wanting to clean off all the built up grime, undercoating and repaint flat black. The car is all original and in really good shape. Really want to do right first time around...

OK boys I went to talk to the owner, he said his son had no idea that we wanted it body color,so we are geting it body color,no extra charge.:D

SO what is it on a 66 cuda? (BB) bronze. I've been wanting to clean off all the built up grime, undercoating and repaint flat black. The car is all original and in really good shape. Really want to do right first time around...

i would think the earlier cars would be the same
cars were dipped in an anti corrosion chemical about 22" deep
then dipped in primer the same way.
when painted the only body color on the undercarriage would be over spray
as the painter sprayed the sides and bottom area...
all cars got wheel well undercoating and California cars also got undercoating
on the trunk extensions
suspension component finishes are another topic
lot's of guys paint their undercarriage body color because it looks good that way.

It makes me wonder, that 2 out of 8 mopars I have had that were original paint had the same body color top and bottom,1 69 Dart Florida car, this Duster has had only 1 repaint,but under is original,the top coat does not match the under coat? thing that make you go hummmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Glad you got it worked out. I remember being under mine for the longest time scrappin and heatin to get the under coating off. No colour under it and on it when i started and finished.Don. Does make you wounder Eh!

..there can be quite a bit depending on the painter.The factory would never waste time
turning the vehicle to get it all.
Here's a couple of high end B Bodies undergoing restoration..

Attachments

• 100_1745_zps3725aabf.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 288
  • DWBird1280.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 274
here's my Dart Don after i removed/scraped all the undercoating off and then
my attempt to duplicate it

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 315
  • 020.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 320
  • 013.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 290
It does make sense when you think about it. Paint the under side then cover it with undercoating???????? Not making money or alot of sense. Well to me anyway.Great pics BTW

here's my Dart Don after i removed/scraped all the undercoating off and then
my attempt to duplicate it

You got to love thos California cars ,I have learned a bit from you Al, but I still like the undercarriage painted.HOW about a chrome:D job.

that's the great thing about this hobby.
...the only correct way is the way you want it...not anyone else.

..there can be quite a bit depending on the painter.The factory would never waste time
turning the vehicle to get it all.
Here's a couple of high end B Bodies undergoing restoration..

Got any kind of drawings/specifications for those sweet looking rotisserie?

-
Back