Paint Question

-

ford12989

Reaction score
I am completely new to body work and paint. My question is what exactly to use. I have to been doing a lot of looking at research. My current plan is to sand, sandblast, and use rust converter inside where it is hard to sand. After that I plan to use PPG DPLF overall. If that looks good I am going to topcoat then clear. My body is currently completely smooth. Just on dent in the rear which will be taken care of. No major rust except passenger floor and truck. All getting patched soon. This is not meant to be a show car. Are there any steps I should add, look into, or change?

There are lots of videos on you tube on this, also there is a paint and body sticky in one of the forums here.

If this is just a nice driver and not a full blown show car, save your money on your base and clears and go with omni or sherwin Williams. You are going to she'll out a pretty penny for any DuPont orPPG but if your prep work is poopy it's still going to look like a shiney turd. I've been using Xtreme clear and I really like it. Covers well and buffs real nice.

What about a good spray gun to use? Are there kits available? A complete kit would make life much eaiser.

HF purple gun 1.4 for color comes with it. 1.8-2.0 tip for primer. You can order the big tip if you call their hotline.

Enjoy!

X2 ,on the Purple Harbor Freight gun.PPG ,fantastic stuff,you pay for it. If on a budget,Sherwin Williams same as Napa's Martin -Senour. If doing a metallic, check out the Tec-Base. If looking, for a solid,non metallic color,the Crossfire single stage rocks. Mixed it,still shooting it.

I am completely new to body work and paint. My question is what exactly to use. I have to been doing a lot of looking at research. My current plan is to sand, sandblast, and use rust converter inside where it is hard to sand. After that I plan to use PPG DPLF overall. If that looks good I am going to topcoat then clear. My body is currently completely smooth. Just on dent in the rear which will be taken care of. No major rust except passenger floor and truck. All getting patched soon. This is not meant to be a show car. Are there any steps I should add, look into, or change?

If going with PPG which is what I use, you need to clean/etch the metal before the epoxy primer-see the tech sheet. Also I would spray a couple coats of K36 over the epoxy which is a sandable primer for block sanding out any imperfections, otherwise sounds good.

I don't like Omni base coat. Sure it's less expensive but the coverage can be horrible (meaning, you pay less for a given amount but you need twice as much to do the job).

I don't like Omni base coat. Sure it's less expensive but the coverage can be horrible (meaning, you pay less for a given amount but you need twice as much to do the job).

Ya, they use more binder agents meaning less pigment and less coverage.

That's interesting just shot some 2 days ago and it covered great. Yea it's not the best but I've never had coverage issues with it. Want coverage go water Bourne but that comes with its own share of issues.

I am in the process of painting mine right now, just finished the interior pieces, the jambs, and the underside of the hood and trunk lid. I've been using SPI epoxy, 2k primer, and Universal Clear with ProSpray base. Very happy with everything I've used from them. I got my products from Chad S over on the SPI forum. He was very helpful and priced well for my project. I bought the 3 gun set from TCP for $80 bucks, or something like that. From that set, I use the gun with the 1.8 tip for the build primer, the gun with the 1.4 tip for the epoxy primer, and the detail gun works good for getting the epoxy into those hard to reach places. I bought a Warwick 904H LVLP gun with a 1.4 tip for spraying both base and clear. While not a big name gun and not a cheap gun ( I think I paid $125 for it) it is worlds better than any of the 3 guns I bought in the kit from TCP. A good air and filter system is just as important as what gun your using. I picked up a nice $500 filter/regulator setup off of ebay for less than $100 because the guy misspelled Devilbiss so he wasn't getting any bids on it.

That's interesting just shot some 2 days ago and it covered great. Yea it's not the best but I've never had coverage issues with it. Want coverage go water Bourne but that comes with its own share of issues.

What color? Some are worse than others but all of it is worse than a premium paint.

I have sprayed a bunch of waterborne paint. Most of the issues are in the painters head.

-
Back