paint question

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
i have a dumb question. i painted my engine bay, but i noticed a few spots that i sprayed lightly. i guess i didnt see it when i painted it. i already cleared it but im not happy with it. can i juse wetsand it and reshoot it. would i have to do the whole thing over again? and what grit paper would i use. thanks for the help.
-aaron-

sure...wet sand 1500 grit respray....I am not an expert painter but should be fine....anybody else???????

I would wet sand the whole thing with 600 grit. I would then scuff the little nooks you missed or can't get into with sandpaper with a Scotchbrite pad. Blow it off, wipe it down with Final Clean, and tack it. Spray your light spots with color until covered, then shoot a coat of color over the whole thing, then clear it.
Dallas

Wet sand and wipe clean:read2: Fog on another coat of color and lay some clear back on.:cheers: Just keep your sand paper clean and don't apply pressure sanding if it is very fresh. scuff pad is your friend like MOBodyman said.

thanks guys. i painted it a few months back. i just never noticed the spots i missed untill the other day. it must have been the light or something. the paint is a light blue so i must have just missed it. im getting ready to put the motor back in and i want everything to look good. thanks!
-aaron-

I would wet sand the whole thing with 600 grit. I would then scuff the little nooks you missed or can't get into with sandpaper with a Scotchbrite pad. Blow it off, wipe it down with Final Clean, and tack it. Spray your light spots with color until covered, then shoot a coat of color over the whole thing, then clear it.
Dallas

I agree, 1500 is way to fine. 800 grit is as far as I would finish before paint and that fine enough to put a shine on primer... scarey, lol

I agree, 1500 is way to fine. 800 grit is as far as I would finish before paint and that fine enough to put a shine on primer... scarey, lol
That is right 8)It seems I used 600 grit , It has been a few years for me.
Thank you AdamR.

don't put the paint on heavy...light coats to the areas you missed if you put it on to heavy it will "gator" the paint. the clear coat is no problem but the base is very aggressive.

Another option is a wet gray scuff pad with sanding paste. Some guys use comet cleanser or soft soap. Rinse well, wipe of with some type of final wash. I agree with Waggin, go easy with the basecoat, the reducer is very aggressive, so take care when sanding in the edges. a slower(higher temp rated) reducer is less aggressive than faster...dust on til covered, let is flash off then clear. If your intial job only had 2 coats of clear take your time sanding.

Bob

I would use 600-700 grit wet sand paper. First fill in the light spots. Sand the whole thing. Then clean it with what ever kind of cleaning solution that is recomended. Then spray a "tack coat" wich is basically a fog coat. Then do light coats until it is your desired look.

Wet sand lightly just enough to dull the clear.DO NOT sand through the clear if you do when you go to repaint it will wrinkle.
Jim

Thinking about it,for the sanding I think i'd use a scotchbrite pad and some soapy water to knock the gloss off of the whole area then hit the areas that need more paint with some 600 wet...rinse then dry hit it with the air blower to get all the water off of it then use some final prep dried with a clean towel

-
Back