Paint Removal

-

mopwr69

Reaction score
Hey Everyone

I have purchased a 1969 Dodge Dart 340 Swinger. The original color is F5 and the previous owner has repainted to an F8. Now the job was done in the mid 70's and is not done very well. The engine compartment and trunk is original F5 so the inner doors, rockers and outer body is F8. Now the paint has chipped off in areas where the original F5 has shown through. Now I was thinking of stripping and painting but if possible I would rather have a less perfect paint job but have the original paint as its only original once in her life .

Any thought or ideas would be appreciated
IMG_8806.JPG

Is it still a BC car? If so, welcome from another BC a body owner! What’s the history behind the car (that the previous could tell you)?

Sounds like an interesting project stripping away the F8 paint and hopefully keeping the F5 paint? I’m not a paint/body expert but I’ll be interested to hear from other folks who know more if/how that’s possible.

Keep as is and start over. There is really no way to get down to the OEM paint, and anyway, it was repaited 30 years ago with the F8!! For a reason.

Is it still a BC car? If so, welcome from another BC a body owner! What’s the history behind the car (that the previous could tell you)?

Sounds like an interesting project stripping away the F8 paint and hopefully keeping the F5 paint? I’m not a paint/body expert but I’ll be interested to hear from other folks who know more if/how that’s possible.

I picked up the car in BC and I must say it is one beautiful province . Will be bringing my wife back for a vacation . People are amazing and scenery never stops . Anyhow this project might be a bit of a pipe dream but need to try ......will keep you posted ! Ontario does not have Mopar survivors like BC does ....I saw so many nice cars ....Amazing Red Express all original.... little rust on the doors but a easy project ....had to return to Ontario to save my money or would have come back broke LOL

strip and repaint. Eastwood has a cool stripper for flat panels. Sort of a horizontal barrel grinder that uses strippers. imagine a paint roller spinning and taking paint off!

You have a great looking car. Unfortunately, there is no way to preserve the original paint. If you really want to make the car look as original as possible, strip the paint to bare metal, make any necessary repairs, and repaint. This can be a big job, and unless you have the experience and equipment to do it properly, it's worth paying a professional to do. But there are things you can do yourself to save money. If you want to make the result as original as possible, there is going to be a lot of disassembly required. You'll need to remove all the trim, bumpers, door handles, lock cylinders, door cards, weatherstripping, grille, taillights, etc. Some guys also remove all the glass. Take photos of everything, mark, bag and tag everything so you know where it goes in 6 months. After the car has been re-sprayed, it's a perfect time to replace all the weatherstripping too. A good friend of mine recently did just what I described, on a fairly rough 67 Nova. He did all the mechanical stuff himself, and paid a shop to do the bodywork and painting. After stripping and removing all the old filler out of the car, he discovered some quarter panel and floor pan rust that needed repairing, which cost extra. The finished paint job looks excellent, and there is very little plastic filler in the car. His bill was just under 13 grand, the shop had his car for not quite 4 months.

Aircraft stripper and a pressure washer is your friend. Just FYI Brings it to metal.

Aircraft paint stripper is petty darn nasty stuff, but works well. Like Mr. Halifax the hop man says pressure washer is good, but the old way is using a putting knife to scrape! If you use the pressure washer route, have face goggles, YOU do not want any in your eyes, or any where else on your skin or in your lungs. Cover the stripper good and wet with plastic , best in shade on cooler day. Be sure to rinse it out of all cracks, and crevises. Like said above, it takes good equipment, a place to work, skill to do any body work but you can learn if you desire. OR, Pay the right shop and open your wallet. decent.
Sometimes you can wet sand good enamel or urethane and buff and get it looking pretty decent.

I just scored a 75 Dodge Dart that the PO painted all of the chrome black. I used the aircraft stripper on it all. It removed all of the paint, but preserves the chrome. If you go this route, don't be stingy with the stripper. The more the better. Won't be as nice on the OEM paint.

You have a great looking car. Unfortunately, there is no way to preserve the original paint. If you really want to make the car look as original as possible, strip the paint to bare metal, make any necessary repairs, and repaint. This can be a big job, and unless you have the experience and equipment to do it properly, it's worth paying a professional to do. But there are things you can do yourself to save money. If you want to make the result as original as possible, there is going to be a lot of disassembly required. You'll need to remove all the trim, bumpers, door handles, lock cylinders, door cards, weatherstripping, grille, taillights, etc. Some guys also remove all the glass. Take photos of everything, mark, bag and tag everything so you know where it goes in 6 months. After the car has been re-sprayed, it's a perfect time to replace all the weatherstripping too. A good friend of mine recently did just what I described, on a fairly rough 67 Nova. He did all the mechanical stuff himself, and paid a shop to do the bodywork and painting. After stripping and removing all the old filler out of the car, he discovered some quarter panel and floor pan rust that needed repairing, which cost extra. The finished paint job looks excellent, and there is very little plastic filler in the car. His bill was just under 13 grand, the shop had his car for not quite 4 months.

-
Back