Paint - Repairing Base Coat

-

mokid

Reaction score
Took the hood off my 69 Dart to paint it. Hung it vertically so I'd be able to paint both sides. Had two problems:
1) Got a couple of runs (on outer side, of course). Tried to repair it by scraping runs with razor blade and painting over it. It looks marginal. Should I just wait, sand, and repaint? How long should I wait before sanding?
2) Found a bullseye (sunken place) on top side that I just flat missed when block sanding. Tried building it up with paint (like with primer). Can this be done, or am I stuck with filling, sanding, etc., the traditional way?

If I build up the "bullseye" with paint, how long should I wait before sanding it each time?

If I decide to lay the hood flat and apply base/clear one side at a time, how long should I wait before turning it over to paint the other side?

tks...........jas

Are you spraying a metallic? Are you shooting clear over it? What is the base? If it is not a metallic and you are shooting a clear then you could just wet sand the run from 800-2000 grit and shoot clear and you will never know. The sunk in area will need to be built up a little. You could just take a dab of paint and let it dry then wet sand the entire hood, but you will have to look at the paint specs and see what the recoat window is.

As far a leaning the hood against something goes. The paint and clear will be really soft for a few days and is really easy to scratch. Quiet a bit of it depends on what activator and reducer you used. Some dry faster and some dry slower.

This is a base/clear deal right, and the run is in the clear? You should be able to scrape the run flat with a razor blade. Sanding flat with a stone works well too. Then just buff back to a shine. That low spot should fixed the traditional way, fill n sand. Drying times vary greatly depending on temp, humidity, and the hardener/activator used. Remember that the heavy spot,the run, will take a lot longer to dry than the rest of the hood.

Took the hood off my 69 Dart to paint it. Hung it vertically so I'd be able to paint both sides. Had two problems:
1) Got a couple of runs (on outer side, of course). Tried to repair it by scraping runs with razor blade and painting over it. It looks marginal. Should I just wait, sand, and repaint? How long should I wait before sanding?
2) Found a bullseye (sunken place) on top side that I just flat missed when block sanding. Tried building it up with paint (like with primer). Can this be done, or am I stuck with filling, sanding, etc., the traditional way?

If I build up the "bullseye" with paint, how long should I wait before sanding it each time?

If I decide to lay the hood flat and apply base/clear one side at a time, how long should I wait before turning it over to paint the other side?

tks...........jas

Ok, in my opinion:

1. I would block the run with 600 wet or dry sandpaper and water then hand sand it with 1200 wet or dry sandpaper and water to knock down the scratches especially if it's a metallic. If you don't break through to the undercoat you should be able to go right back to paint.

2. To correctly repair the bullseye, you should fill with primer if it isn't too deep letting each coat dry before putting on the next (this will take some time with air dry)

If you want to paint one side at a time, you should probably wait a couple of days to be sure you won't mar the surface of the paint when you flip it over. Setting it out in the sun to dry would help.

1)The run is in the base.
2)Not metallic paint............just plain white.........when finished, car will be all white with a red bumble bee stripe. Nothing fancy, just a 318 grocery getter.
3)I have lots of time to get this done, think I'll paint one side at a time, giving it two to three days drying time before I flip it to paint the other side. The light in my shop is not all that great, so laying it flat should help me see better also.

Thanks for all the tips..........no more excuses............I'll get started tomorrow. My overall goal is to get the complete car painted before cold weather, since my shop is not heated.............jas

-
Back