Paint shop jail... No parole!!!

-

FJ5

Reaction score
June 16 will be one year that my Dart has been at the painter. I keep getting the same story. I just need one more day and your car will be ready for paint.
Its been too cold, then too wet, now too humid. WTH

I agree. Doesn't take a F-ing year to shoot a car. Doesn't matter what the temp is outside if the painter has a proper booth! Sounds like you are getting taken for a ride...... In your own car! Go get that chit!

you know what they say... never pay in advance!!! once i gave him the last payment (he stated before that he doesn't let his customers owe him money as he said he has been screwed too many times) it seems progress stopped.

you know what they say... never pay in advance!!! once i gave him the last payment (he stated before that he doesn't let his customers owe him money as he said he has been screwed too many times) it seems progress stopped.

Yeah he gets screwed by his customers but he RAPES his clients with a Chilly as big as an Elephants!

I would probably go get the car also, especially if there has been no progress.

I agree. Doesn't take a F-ing year to shoot a car. Doesn't matter what the temp is outside if the painter has a proper booth! Sounds like you are getting taken for a ride...... In your own car! Go get that chit!
haaa rick, i was gonna ask if you had it :razz:

i just noticed my avatar says it all. Sander on the car, no one around.

The guy is obviously robbing Peter to pay Paul. 100% he don't even have the $$ you gave him to paint the car. He is broke and onto the next sham $$ just as the day is light.
That totally suxxxx.

A little sand paper, some Scotch-Brite, and Blitz Black from Johnnie Deere in a spray can. Rat Rod in a can. Touches up nice too.

man i would be there everyday busting his balls. hope you got something on paper. took 3 months to strip my car to bare metal. shaved the wiper motor, heater hole in firewall. all my trim holes got welded up. 2 small quarter patches. and rear window frame patch work.

Did you get anything in writing? The fact that they wanted all the money up front should have been a red flag but obviously it is to late for that. Shop owners hate bad publicity, make it known that EVERYONE will know how upset you are if the job is not done soon...and to your satisfaction.

Dude you need to get your car outta their! The guy is a crook! He has problem, bottom line,even if you already paid in full,cut bait and get out he's not gonna do it.

I can't frikin beleive what some people will do, and some will put up with.
Just amazing.

You're actually lucky if the car is still there. I've known several unscrupulous bodymen/restoration shops who did far worse. There was a guy in Delaware who would take a huge deposit up front promising concours work, then he would SELL ALL THE PARTS off the car! He spent the money on crack and everytime he got sued (several times) he would file bankrupcy and open under a new name!

Another guy in Maryland had a coke habit that got the better of him. He took in an early antique roadster as a restoration project and took the car all apart. THEN he heard that there was a warrant for his arrest and he locked up and left town! The car owner never got all his stuff back and the bodyman was never caught!

I'm telling you now, get what's left of your car while you can and RUN AWAY!

Well, in my opinion you can't go get it outta there b/c then you will have lost all your money. I would just start ratcheting up the heat and calling his *** everyday, and maybe mentioning the Better Business Bureau. Naw, gimme a break. He's gotta be shooting paint on somebody's car a few days a week, I'm guessing, right? How the hell else would he be able to stay in business?!

I would keep it amicable though and (initially) refrain from going bananas on his azz.....initially. The goal is to get it done and nice, not burn all your bridges. Keep showing up and he'll get stressed from seeing your face. :cheers:

Yep I would show up every day and just hang out for a couple of hours at a time.. Just start taking pictures of stuff inside the shop and write stuff down on a notepad.. Make him nervous...

This painter wouldn't happen to be a "friend" would it...................?

I had a similar experience....same excuses yada yada yada etc etc, he probably did 20-30 scuff and shoots while mine sat on the back burner.

The scuff n shoots were easy money where as a car that is expected to be pristine takes a lot more effort.

Never tell em to work on it when they have time...........it will never be the time......

Mine eventually came home and very happy with it but what a freak'n nightmare.

Never have completely finished it due to loosing interest...........

FJ5
Sorry about your situation. I paid Dusty 2K to do my wagon in VA. Then after it was stold I paid another dude in Ovila TX 2K to fix what got dorked up. I was told, a week tops. Turned into 2 months and the price more than doubled. I was so glad when he did get it done and I could get my baby back. I do agree with others in this thread, go get your car back! GO GET YOUR CAR BACK. I am really hoping you can find a shop to treat you right and get it done so you can finish your car and get to enjoying the ride!

Chit if I had it, it would have been done in a weekend then a few days cut and buff and there you go! Pisses me off to no end when I see people getting screwed on paint and body work. We have a hyundai veloster in my shop that rolled a couple of times. We have replaced every panel on that sucker inside a week. Should go to paint Monday and back to customer Wednesday. That's how it should be handled. Obviously he's a second rate shop.

Chit if I had it, it would have been done in a weekend then a few days cut and buff and there you go! Pisses me off to no end when I see people getting screwed on paint and body work. We have a hyundai veloster in my shop that rolled a couple of times. We have replaced every panel on that sucker inside a week. Should go to paint Monday and back to customer Wednesday. That's how it should be handled. Obviously he's a second rate shop.

Where are you located at in California?

My buddy runs a restoration shop and he bills monthly. If the owner doesn't pay for the month's previous work it doesn't get worked on. He never asks for advance payments or deposits.

-
Back