Paint vs Vinyl Top

-

1967DartGT

Reaction score
Was a black or white painted top an option (rather than vinyl) for 67 and up darts? Any photos of factory or non-factory painted tops?

I know that it was an option on the B-Bodies back then. Unsure about A-Bodies.
I think the code was 292.

funny thing bout this post i was thinkin bout this the other day and was getting ready to post something similar. was gonna ask what people thought about painting the roof to look similar to a vinyl top. i might do some photo shopping and possibly post the out come ?

I originally asked because I went to a Labor Day weekend car show in Billings, MT (forgot my camera of course) and saw a dark blue 70 dart swinger with a white painted top. I doubt it was original because the white included metallic flakes, but it actually looked pretty good. All the original vinyl trim was there, and if I had just given it a quick glance I probably would not have noticed. I suspect that white would be less obvious than black for a painted top. Seems like a possible alternative to replacing vinyl if you like the two-tone look.

in my opinion you would want the vinyl trim pieces to divide the 2 tone paint,and you wouldnt have to worry about the tape line or if there was a flaw where the 2 colors met. i think it would be easy to just tape, paint and forget about it.

Govier's book shows a VO2 option for two-toned paint for 72-74. It fails to specify which car lines & body styles for which it would be a valid option.

I read on another website that mopar dealers in sw desert states often painted the roofs of cars they sold white to combat the heat (like they do on schoolbuses). If this was sometimes a dealer option, it might not be asy to document in many cases.

My 69 Swinger came with a painted top. I have been looking for one just for comparison. Mine was charger red with a black top. All one color now ,but that may change soon. Matt

I use truck bed liner and it works pretty well. If you get it done by pros it is hail and scratch resistant....

I have seen E bodies with the painted top but never an A or B body. Im pretty sure at some point they were available though, (like mentioned above)

The previous, previous owner of my '71 Dart GT now owns a '70 340 Swinger. His car is Go Mango, with a (gloss) Black roof (with the vinyl top moldings in place), and the organasol (sp?) blackout hood treatment. I have not seen the fender tag, but knowing this guy (numbers matching guru) he wouldn't have it, if it wasn't correct. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures on this computer.

I know a lady who has I think it is a 70 RoadRunner with black painted top. It's been that way from the factory.

DSC01899.jpg

Spring water festival 026.jpg

Spring water festival 025.jpg

Wow that is a shiny car. And thanks for the pictures. I might actually consider painting my roof now :-k

Bed liner on the roof ?? You can buy a new Vinyl top for $129.95.It takes all kinds to make the world go around I guess.
Jim

My friend had a 70 Swinger that was factory equipped with a brown painted body and a white painted top. It's quite a rare option but was certainly available.

Painted tops were popular in the 60's. I can remember seeing a red 67 Dart with white painted top a LONG TIME AGO

I like the vinyl top, white vinyl looks great, but white paint would be easier to keep clean

-
Back