Paint will not stick to emblem....

-

JamesRR

Reaction score
Hey there. I have a 66 barracuda and I recently had the rear lower glass trim "restored" by some clown in Minnesota. He charged me an arm and a leg and then sent it to me all chrome with no black paint (although I requested it) in any of the recesses and none around the ring that circles the fish. I sanded and painted these areas and now it just flakes off. Is there a special kind of paint I should be using? The paint does not like sticking to the chrome at all. Any help would be appreciated. Also, never send anything to Iverson Automotive in Minnetonka, MN. Guy is a rip off and a thief.

Might be wax/polish on it, wash good, then I use lacquer thinner to prep area after sanding

I've had good results using an Adhesion Promoter before paint...

Some acid etch will do the trick. Can be found at most auto paint supply stores

I must state first that mine aren't rechromed, just refreshed. After stripping I wipe the emblems w/ rubbing alcohol then lay Testors model enamel heavily with a tooth pic.
It stays.

If you can have part sand blasted, that will work. Just mask the area not be painted with a couple layers of masking tape and cut out the edges with a knife, xacto, etc. Then blast lightly, enough to rough up the area to be painted. Have used this method many times and it works for painting chrome, stainless, brazing, also glass.

-
Back