Paint

-
Reaction score
Im looking for a good paint to paint my car. I am doing it myself and have never bought automotive paint. I’ll by using a gravity feed sprayer

You should set a budget for painting the car. For the inexperienced it can be confusing, complex and expensive.
How much do you want to spend?

Well ok, you could get a lot of answers but I will tell you that I use PPG products exclusively.
I suggest using the search function in the forum you posted your query and see what pops up.
Good Luck with your project.

To be honest I don’t know I just wast good quality paint. I want it to last and I want good quality clear coat
Like said, you posted a very broad based question. Some basecoats run $600+ a gallon and top shelf clears upwards of $400 not including the ancillary components such as reducers, activators and all the other materials needed to get the job done.

I've used TCP, Summit As well. Summit just doesn't give you many color selections but I purchased the flame red for a dodge ram truck and paid less than 150 for a gallon of paint and reducer. Orilies auto parts sells Nason. They matched the gold color for my 65 Barracuda really well. It was around 200 for a gallon with reducer. You can spend a lot, but I thought this was my first job in a long time and if I didn't like it I could sand it and do it again. Good luck with your project. Hope it turns out as well as mine.

look up thecoatingstore,com. you can get the whole kit of base, clear, reducer and activators for around 250. ive used quite alot of their paint, and have had good results with it. for a first time painter, it would be cheaper in case of mess ups. dave

To be honest I don’t know I just wast good quality paint. I want it to last and I want good quality clear coat

Remember : You get what you pay for.

There are 3 levels of aftermarket refinish paint systems suppliers.

BASF, Dupont, and PPG are the top level paint suppliers. Each company has 3 or 4 levels of quality. I've used most of them and can say they are all fine refinish materials.

The second level (and I'm not listing names) offer cheaper products some offer 2 levels of quality. I've used a few and find they do an adequate job.

The lowest level (again, no names) usually offers one cut rate brand at bargain prices. I haven't used any and don't plan to.

You as a customer must decide on your budget, what your ultimate goal is and how long you want your job to last. Once you have those answers you'll be able to make a decision.

If you're a novice painter I strongly suggest you practice, practice, practice or better yet take a night school course in auto refinishing. BTW - Use PPE when painting!!!!

Good Luck!

sscuda

-
Back