Painted Stripe Removal

-

scott2683

Reaction score
I found a 73 duster on craigslist for sale that I'm really interested in. Husband and wife inherited it after her dad died, they don't know too much about the car, but they believe it to be original paint. Engine bay looks to have been repainted at one time. Someone removed the factory stripe and painted one on.

What can I do to remove this paint? I don't want to mess up the original paint, but I want to go back to a vinyl stripe if I pick up this car. The painted stripe kind of ruins it for me.

IMG_0567-1.JPG

I found a 73 duster on craigslist for sale that I'm really interested in. Husband and wife inherited it after her dad died, they don't know too much about the car, but they believe it to be original paint. Engine bay looks to have been repainted at one time. Someone removed the factory stripe and painted one on.

What can I do to remove this paint? I don't want to mess up the original paint, but I want to go back to a vinyl stripe if I pick up this car. The painted stripe kind of ruins it for me.

View attachment 1715230761
In order to eliminate the stripe you would have to repaint the car. Graphics like that have to be sanded to bare metal and primed or they will be seen if repainted.
The paint on the car looks like it is in good condition. Unless you absolutely hate the color scheme, leave it be.

In order to eliminate the stripe you would have to repaint the car. Graphics like that have to be sanded to bare metal and primed or they will be seen if repainted.
The paint on the car looks like it is in good condition. Unless you absolutely hate the color scheme, leave it be.
Thanks for the insight, that seems to be the consensus. I love the color of the car, I just hate that someone painted a stripe on it. The stripes aren't symmetrical on both sides.

Seems like a cool car though, 340, bucket seats, center console, moonroof car.

Last edited:
Will the factory stripe decal cover it? If so, I'd throw the factory decal over the painted stripe for now so it looks factory. If it were me though, with my luck, their painted stripe would be larger than factory and not be able to be covered.

Will the factory stripe decal cover it? If so, I'd throw the factory decal over the painted stripe for now so it looks factory. If it were me though, with my luck, their painted stripe would be larger than factory and not be able to be covered.
I feel like that would be my luck too!

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

Honestly by the look of the quality of the painted stripe, I would bet it could be removed. It would be worth a try anyway!

Cley

Honestly by the look of the quality of the painted stripe, I would bet it could be removed. It would be worth a try anyway!

Cley
It looks like they didn't prepare the paint, and just shot it on there. It looks like old school single stage paint.

If there is a chemical to remove the stripe and not damage the body paint, I would be interested in hearing of it.

An OEM stripe no doubt will not cover this "custom" one. Like said, repaint the car and add OEM stripe, or repaint the existing stripe your color. Just limited as to what you could do.
This is an example why custom work on these cars, that cannot be easily changed is usually NOT good when selling.

If there is a chemical to remove the stripe and not damage the body paint, I would be interested in hearing of it.

An OEM stripe no doubt will not cover this "custom" one. Like said, repaint the car and add OEM stripe, or repaint the existing stripe your color. Just limited as to what you could do.
This is an example why custom work on these cars, that cannot be easily changed is usually NOT good when selling.
Yeah I was really excited about the car until a friend of mine pointed out the stripes didn't match, Then I had the owner send some more detailed pics, and they're not even close. I've read a lot about using oven cleaner, graffiti remover, or lacquer to remove the paint, I just don't want to damage the rest of the paint.

i wouldn't attempt lacquer thinner, it will soften original paint or fade it,maybe even take it off, if you try acetone , i would try it on a small place , if the stripes are fairly new and it original paint, it may take the stripes off,be careful whatever you try ,unless you are willing to paint entire car

i wouldn't attempt lacquer thinner, it will soften original paint or fade it,maybe even take it off, if you try acetone , i would try it on a small place , if the stripes are fairly new and it original paint, it may take the stripes off,be careful whatever you try ,unless you are willing to paint entire car
Stripes are really old I'd say. The white paint is cracked. The car is 4.5 hours away or I'd just drive up and look at it in person.

-
Back