painting /6

-

beebeeri000

Rest-O-Moder
Reaction score
i want to paint my new slant 6 with some engine paint. can anyone thats done this before tell me how many cans of engine paint id need? im thinking of goin to chrysler red

Are you doing just the block or IM/EM and all? I just did mine that's why I'm asking.
Before

After

If the engine's not in the car, the manifolds are real easy to get off of it. Plus you can't just use regular spray paint to cover the exhaust manifold. It will just melt and smell really bad till it turns back into a rusty mess. Ceramic coat or some kind of high temp exhaust paint for it. I've taken my manifolds off several times to repaint the exhaust manifolds, and fix exhaust leaks, etc... I only have my intake manifold sprayed on mine, then the exhaust is high temp header paint blue by vht, and the rest of the engine bay and engine itself is painted with a brush... over a period of 2 years... takes a while. lol.

Same engine, same car.

Yea i know it's easier with it out of the car but it's still really annoying so I think ima leave it on

We spray a base of primer and then put the color over it.

For a SB, we use one can of primer and two cans of color to get a good few coats on it...

Get some paint-prep degreaser and go over the engine thoroughly before painting so it will not peel off. The blue is factory right for your year car and engine, but I like the Chrysler Red too. Factory exhaust was unpainted, trannie braces and motor mounts are the same as the engine, brackets for alternator and such are black, and factory on the intake often looks like it was brush painted!

-
Back