painting a seat

-

dusterfanatic

The 340 Hammer
Reaction score
lol i know this is very very cheap of me to do but i want to try and paint my rear bech seat of my duster black where can i find material paint

im going to try the duplicolor vinyl and paltic dye. Bought it from advanced auto...like 6.50 a can. But others have said the SEM brand is very good. I think the SEM is a little duller (black) than the duplicolor.

I know this thread is pretty old, but do the OP's have an update on how well the paint worked? I'm debating on painting a section of my rear seat to match the front seat color but didn't know if i should just get new inlays stitched in instead of painting them.

I'm curious as well. Any feedback would be appreciated. THANKS!

the duplicolor stuff is crap for interior stuff imo,i found the SEM products to be much better.

I have used the Krylon Fusion on my Convertible panels, arm rests, console, vents, back seat, dash pad, and front door panels. I cleaned them with soap and water and sun dried them. I quick wiped them with some prep all and then painted with light coats. The red is a very good match to the original red color and matches very close to the Legendary rear door panels and front seat covers. It is a bit glossy, but I am looking to put a thin layer of the SEM Satin Clear. I have some scrap pieces I will experiment on. I do not know how the seat will hold up as I haven't had any passengers in the back seat yet. Was a cheap way to make them look better, and match the new interior.

I use the SEM and have great results. I have done many dye jobs. Just a heads up, clean the seats really well, really well, or you can get those fish eyes, and most of all make sure the paint doesn't run, that is a nasty fix. Take your time.
AL

I use the SEM and have great results. I have done many dye jobs. Just a heads up, clean the seats really well, really well, or you can get those fish eyes, and most of all make sure the paint doesn't run, that is a nasty fix. Take your time.
AL
Ram, thanks for the tip. Have you done the front seat of a driver? If so, did it hold up? I got a set of front and rear seats with an older recover in decent condition for $150. Reason they were so cheap? Aside from being a less than perfect job (this car is a driver), they were done in light grey. I'm thinking of going to black on my F8 Duster. It needs a carpet badly anyway.

new seats.jpg

I find the prep to be the most important part of the job, if not done well the end result would not be as nice, grease, oil, armour all or any protectant should be removed. I found it to hold up quite well when done right.
Ps remember to watch for runs, once you take a cloth and wipe it it is a ***** to fix.
AL

Thanks again. I had a (knowlegeable) friend advise against it. I reason that if most automotive leather is top dyed, the right product applied properly on a prepared vinyl surface should hold up.

it worked amazing i used semi gloss black tremclade in a rattle can and it turnd out great now i havn't been in the seats much yet but i figure the paint will eventually ware off but i guess ill just take it out and spray it again

SEM Ladau Black is much more natural looking (less glossy) than Duplicolor.

That being said I dyed a white front bench seat black with SEM, it lasted for several years only requied touch up on the piping on the edge of the drivers side. Most people couldn't believe it was dyed.

The key is to clean clean clean clean and when you think you have cleaned enough clean some more. An ammonia based cleaner is best and then use SEM vinyl prep. Spray light coats. Any hint of fish eyes stop and clean some more.

-
Back