Painting aluminum valve covers?

-

Inspector71

Reaction score
Not sure if this question belongs here but here goes. I want to paint Mopar valve covers, Mopar Performance with logo and the raised "fins" the same color as the engine. I want the fins, logo and Mopar Performance script unpainted. It seems that paint won't stick well to the polished aluminum valve covers but will the "as-cast" versions. Am I right so far? If so, the fins and writing will be flat gray but I'd like them polished. Could I polish the fins, logo, and script before painting? If so, how does one polish flat gray "as cast' aluminum? If this will work, can I paint the entire valve cover without taping off what I polished and just take the paint back off with some work after the fact? I don't have all this together yet but need to plan it out before I spend money on a bad idea. Thanks in advance.

just paint the entire valve cover. after they dry for a day or 2 sand the fins and mp script with a da sander or electric sander whatever you have with 400grit or so that will get it looking good and follow up with 1600 or 2000 grit for an almost polished look.

Hey you made my day. I wanted to go the powder coated path, and may, but I'm trying to save a few bucks. This is good news. Thanks.

Send your valve covers to Leanna, our resident "Mistress of Metal" powder-coating artist. She'll make 'em look better than you ever thought possible.
See her website (www.phoenixspecialtycoatings.com) for some of her outstanding quality work. She'll do multi-color powdercoat work as well.
You'll find her posts here under "CudaChick1968".
She's in Tennessee so you're fairly close.

If you choose not to powder coat then clean and prime them. All you need to do if they were polished is sand them to rough the surface. I did a set of Alloy 351c valve covers that were powder coated and the powder coat was coming off. Sand blasted, cleaned, primed, high temp paint and they looked sweet.

Send your valve covers to Leanna, our resident "Mistress of Metal" powder-coating artist. She'll make 'em look better than you ever thought possible.
See her website (www.phoenixspecialtycoatings.com) for some of her outstanding quality work. She'll do multi-color powdercoat work as well.
You'll find her posts here under "CudaChick1968".
She's in Tennessee so you're fairly close.

Thanks for the props Ken! :-D

Inspector, don't hesitate to give me a call if I can help you out with your brainstorm.

Great forum with so many good ideas. Plum Crazy Dart, those are some of the best valve covers I've ever seen and I love the color combo. Cudachick, yes, I plan to do that. Again, thanks everyone.

Did the air cleaner to match..and the fan, coil, ps and alt brackets, valley pan and dist hold down.... got carried away :D

Attachments

• P3251794.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 717
-
Back