Painting Block/Heads & Intake

-

My*65*Dart

Reaction score
When you paint your engine Does the engine paint go right on the bare metal or is there some type of high heat primer? What has worked for you?

i use one coat of duplicolor high heat white primer under 2 coats of chrysler engine orange. has always worked great for me. the key is clean, clean , clean

Attachments

• a43.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 192
i use one coat of duplicolor high heat white primer under 2 coats of chrysler engine orange. has always worked great for me. the key is clean, clean , clean

YES!! Must be as clean as humanly possible. I find some Gunk engine bright and a toilet brush( I buy em cheap at the dollar store) are excellent cleaning products,but you will still need to wash the motor/parts several times,and then air dry completely. Also wire brush any loose old paint off. Also dont touch anything that gets paint with your bare skin,as the skin oil will transfer to the surface and this will cause the paint to lift off later. Multiple,thin coats are best,dont try to lay it on thick or you will get chipping when the paint is dry.

I also have one of those can sprayer/gun things and find it works nice,saves my fingertips.

Did you paint after assembly or before?

I prefer to paint after assembly, but my buddy likes to paint everything then assemble the engine. I told him I paint after to seal up the gaskets that I know are eventually gonna leak! lol

X3 on the cleaning part. When you think you have it clean enough, clean it one more time with a white rag and some rubbing alcohol and see what happens.

-
Back