Painting cowl panel

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Not exactly the cowl panel, but that area underneath the grill on the cowl panel. What have y'all done to get paint in there or otherwise clean that up when painting the rest of the car? This on a '72 Duster.
Thanks,
C

This is one of those things..

you could get a can of spray paint (of your choice) and get the tube/cap setup off of a can of carb cleaner and paint down in there. (seen it done on an old dodge tradesman)

or by the time the car has 4 or 5 coats of paint on it, enough paint "should" have gotten down in there.

Otherwise no real way to get in there.

Had the same problem with the painting on my 73 Duster......mine was kinda yellowish and orange. My body man, used some good quality spray undercoating (with a plastic tube attached) to help cover the old colors inside there then made sure that he got ample color when he was doing the body. I was really worried about this area since you don't have a whole lot of choices here.
Good luck on your project.
Greg..........mtn_jake

Thanks guys,
Since I am painting the car white, I was hating the thought of that unfinished area actually being seen... I have this winter to play around with it, I may try to see what I can do.
Thanks again,
C

hmmm, finish in there is not a factor. Color and rust prevention is the only goal. What if we get creative.... Drop the fresh air duct on drivers side and shove a paint sprayer , hose and all (trigger locked on) into the cowl and across to the other side. Turn the air to it and let it blast. Tumble the gun as it is withdrawn slowly and covers everything. I think I would use a flat black rust ender product then let the overspray from exterior painting fall where it may just like factory.

-
Back