Painting dash top heater vents

-

plugger340

Reaction score
My plastic heater vents are chalky so I’ve gently sanded off the chalk the best I can but it’s impossible to sand into all the crevasses.
The paint shop recommended SEM flexible coating paint.
Do flexible paints stand up well to heat? The can instructions call for an “appropriate adhesive promoter” first. Would this be referring to a primer or cleaner?

I've limited use of SEM, but its quality(and pricey!!). There is an actual adhesion promoter that isnt a primer. There are several makes of it.

Wipe with wax grease remover. Shpot a few coats of Bulldog adhesion promoter. Then any paint ya want

I used the SEM red on Vixen's defrost vents and they turned out great. They were new black ones, but the paint covered good and still looks good. I cannot disagree about it being pricey. It is that.

There is a paint specifically for plastics.

Typically a vinyl (as in seats) paint has the same properties

But it adheres at the molecular level vs coats the surface.

Repos are available and might be cheaper in the long run?

I bought a can over 10 years ago and just finished it up. Cost me $20 then. I called local parts store... now its over $60...smh...
I used the SEM red on Vixen's defrost vents and they turned out great. They were new black ones, but the paint covered good and still looks good. I cannot disagree about it being pricey. It is that.

Thanks for everyone’s input. I think the dash pad was refinished with a water based paint as Isopropyl alcohol softens the finish. Can I spray the solvent based plastic paint on it or should I use a non-etching primer first?

Thanks for everyone’s input. I think the dash pad was refinished with a water based paint as Isopropyl alcohol softens the finish. Can I spray the solvent based plastic paint on it or should I use a non-etching primer first?
If you are unable to remove the vents. They also sell plastic primer, you could try to get some barrel sanders or wrap sand paper around a pencil and try sanding all areas. But I would use the plastic primer, even though the regular primer will probably work too.

I'd use some type of adhesion promoter and SEM "Color Coat." It comes in a bunch of different colors and is meant for that application. I just used it on some vinyl door pulls and they turned out great. If you look at the TDS for the product, it'll explain how to choose the correct SEM adhesion promoter.

Last edited:
Wipe with wax grease remover. Shpot a few coats of Bulldog adhesion promoter. Then any paint ya want
You really don't want to use a solvent cleaner on plastic parts. The solvent will penatrate the plastic and can push the top coat off. You really want to clean plastic parts with a water based cleaner.

I didn't prime mine with chit. I just cleaned up good and shot the SEM red right over um. Bee there since 2019. Still looks the same.

In reference to the dash pad …
So no one sees a problem shooting a solvent based vinyl paint over a water based finish?

I'd use some type of adhesion promoter and SEM "Color Coat." It comes in a bunch of different colors and is meant for that application. I just used it on some vinyl door pulls and they turned out great. If you look at the TDS for the product, it'll explain how to choose the correct SEM adhesion promoter.

I second this.

I used SEM color coat with their adhesion promoter to paint a console, dash vents and kick panels and could not be happier with how they all turned out.

Multiple light coats are the way to go. I noticed if you try and just go with medium coats to get it done quicker, you can get some spots that look more shiny than others. 4-5 light coats and it'll look factory.

-
Back