Painting /Dying the interior

-

grassy

Reaction score
Folks,

our '75 Duster interior is tan. We are changing the colour after all theother work is done. ..we would like it to change to black. My wife would prefer the interior to be replaced entirely but I am operating under a very limited budget I would prefer to paint the interior (and all the fake wood grain) myself. I have seen some really bad jobs..Is there any paint on the open market that I can use that will not look like a 20 foot job ? It would be for the rear seat and the dash as well..

Thanks
ian.

the rear seat won't hold up to anyone sitting in it if dyed, i've used the part store stuff and it looked fine

So, interiorr pannels and dash pad ok to paint/dye but anything that has use such as seats, recover instead ? Can the dash pad take any heat after painting ?

Thanks
Ian.

I painted the green door panels on my dart black with Dupli-color Vinyl & Fabric paint and it held up great. I used their Adhesion promoter first before painting.

Just painted the door panels on my new dart from tan to black yesterday the same way and they turned out great.

I bought the paint at NAPA.

I have two of thouse within 10 minutes of my house..you must have read my thoughts about where..

Thanks..that takes some stress off of me...

Ian.

the rear seat won't hold up to anyone sitting in it if dyed, i've used the part store stuff and it looked fine

Not true! I dyed the entire interior including the seats of my Barracuda from medium blue to black with SEM vinyl dye and the seats held up fine. The only area that ever showed any signs of wear was the piping on the edge of the seat where I slide my fat butt in an out. In that area I just touched it up once or twice per year.

When the stitching in the front seat started to tear a friend gave me another with perfect white upholstery and I dyed it black and used it for several years until it tore at which time I had the funds for new seat covers.

I have tried both SEM and Duplicolor vinyl dyes and find the SEM Landua Black to look much more natural than the Duplicolor black.

The key is to clean, clean, clean, then clean some more. I used an ammonia based household cleaner after which I used SEM vinyl prep before appling the dye. Any signs of fish eying means you didn't clean enough.

BTW, I did my interior (except for the carpet and headliner) in 2000 and the door panels, visors, dash pad and plastic trim pieces are still the same pieces I dyed and I have put 66,000 miles on the car in that time frame.

dgc333 I was just going to recommend SEM products for this. They work pretty darn swell as you seem to have found out.

-
Back