Painting Inspection Cover Poll

-

Rbob

Reaction score
What is correct paint for an aluminum bellhousing inspection cover and starter shield? I am leaving the bellhousing natural aluminum.

Not original to my 67 Barracuda so unclear to what was done.

Opinions please.

On my 69 Barracuda they are both galvanized.

May have made a mistake. Inspection cover is galvanized. The starte shield may be just natural.

Can you be a little more clear on what your asking? The stamped steel shield on an automatic is galvanized. The little inspection cover in the center was natural on my 73. The bell housing on a manual trans was partially painted engine color. The starter shield that mounts to the frame rail was painted black.(only on automatic cars)

Can you be a little more clear on what your asking? The stamped steel shield on an automatic is galvanized. The little inspection cover in the center was natural on my 73. The bell housing on a manual trans was partially painted engine color. The starter shield that mounts to the frame rail was painted black.(only on automatic cars)

Good point.

Its a 4-speed Bellhousing, aluminum. I think they were not painted but may have some over spray on them.

I am borrowing a pic from Oldmanmopar:

The one that the starter goes thru you can see painted and plain steel. The inspection cover that goes on the bottom of the bellhousing is painted on one of the assemblies and plain on the other.

Just trying to paint it like the factory did with an aluminum bellhousing.

Attachments

• Picture 417.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 106
All those pieces were installed before the engine was painted. They weren't intentionally painted but did get quite a bit of overspray. How much overspray depended on who was holding the paint gun that day.

The bell housing was installed while the block was still being machined. There are pictures online confirming this.

My bottom steel cover is black,, with some white #s on it , and a white penstar..
and I'm pretty sure the front tin cover was black as well,, . it is now.. lol

hope it helps

-
Back