painting interior metal

-

Dart_Guy

Reaction score
Hey, I am going to go ahead and show my ignorance here... I want to paint the metal interior parts in my car and thought I would try it myself first... I am going to try to paint one of the rear seat metal pieces by the little role down window. So I am only messin up one small peice if I fail at this task.

What is the best way to do this? I was going to try rattle can with a layer of primer then paint, then a clear coat. Will this suffice or will it chip and scratch easy? Is the best way to just have someone paint it for me?

I would love to do it myself but don't have any tools to do so. Is it worth trying?

I've rattle-canned quite a few interior pieces .
And in my experience, yes it will scratch quite easily .
The other consideration is your choice of color may be somewhat limited.

bummer... I have a friend that used to work in a paint shop, but doesn't have any equipment anymore. Maybe if I pitch in towards some tools he can help me out with my painting needs.

Guess, I will need to buy and air compressor now too... Surprised I have gone this long without one.

I jsut looked them up myself. I like the 3 gallon pancake one for 64 bucks. 100 PSI should be good for all I will ever need.

Before you buy the pancake compressor, beware the CFM capability. Maybe some of the body guys on the site can help with this. Those little tanks might be good for running nail guns, but they might not keep up with the continuous flow necessary when painting. You will likely end up with not enough pressure in the tank.

With rattle cans , compressors, everything, you get what you pay for.
I painted my interior pieces with appliance epoxy (refridgerater paint) gloss black. 3 years ago. Still looks good. I removed everything and took it to the workbenchTrying to tape out the panels at quarter windows was too much trouble. Scuffed it all to get a good bond. Covered the light surface rust on insides with Rustoleum rust reformer. I removed the door panels and taped out like factory did. Took the bolts out of the vent windows and lifted them a couple inches rather than try to tape around them. Remember not to close the door with the vent window out of its proper position !

I am taking everything out. Jsut took the small peices out to experiment on. I don't have a big garage so I can't pile stuff up. And I am lucky wiht zero rust on these parts.

Where can I find Appliance epoxy? Was that in a can or am I still looking at a new compressor?

well a quick search on the internet showed that it comes in cans. I will shop around for it. I would rather try this and see if it works, thanks for the input!

check on craigslist, you might get a reasonably good deal on a used one with a little patience.

well a quick search on the internet showed that it comes in cans. I will shop around for it. I would rather try this and see if it works, thanks for the input!

I picked up the appliance epoxy at Lowes. Its in a larger , heavier can than most spray bombs. Majority of spray bombs contain very little paint or pigment. Mostly vehicle / propelant in them. I used 3 cans to do all but the dash housing. Applied heaviest on the doors. Human arms wear through the top and seatbelt buckles scar the bottom.

hey redfish,

did you use primer? The can says nothing about the primer but the directions assume you are painting over the old appliance paint... I am at bare metal now.

thanks

I just went down to the Home Depot and got some rattle can paint. The good thing about that is you have a huge selection of colors to pick. I just sanded them down put some primer then paint then a few light coats of clear. You do have to be carful with them. But after there in I dont find I touch them at all. I have no reson to rub all over everything.

hey redfish,

did you use primer? The can says nothing about the primer but the directions assume you are painting over the old appliance paint... I am at bare metal now.

thanks
I had only small spots where I had sanded down to the metal. When I sprated the rust reformer primer on the backsides I fogged over those little sand thru spots too.

-
Back