Painting Magnum Road Wheels Black?

-

alpha13

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I was wondering about painting some magnum road wheels black. I saw some black rallye wheels with the chrome ring and the center cap and I thought they looked pretty sweet. I plan on getting some eventually and doing them up black. I don't really want to buy wheels right now. But I do have a set of magnums laying around. Before I did them up black I thought I would get a few opinions or see if I could get a few pics of magnums already done black that someone on here has done. Thanks! =)

I guess nobody has done it. Screw it, I'm gonna do it. I'll post pics when I get them back from the shop! =)

I am confused. There are Magnum wheels and there are Road wheels, but not "Magnum Road Wheels" Can you be more specific?

The way I got it was that there are Magnum 500's. (Which are the chrome plated ones.) And then there are the magnum road wheels. (Which have the trim ring.) There are also other types of road wheels too. Or am I wrong? I don't know the names of everything, I just know what they look like lol. I sold a set of chrysler road wheels and I didn't even know what they were called til the guy who bought them told me about them. They were the ones that were chrome with the slots. They kinda look like Chevy rally wheels from the 60's

Mabye I'm wrong altogether haha. She'd some light on the wheel names.

Chrysler "Rallye Wheel":
WVI-56-5712044_OH.jpg

Chrysler "Road Wheel":
wvi-54-4712044_xl.jpg

If these were on a Ford, they'd be "Magnum 500" wheels.

Maybe plastidip em first and see if you like the look. If not, peel it off

I could see a Rallye wheel in black, with the bright trim ring and a light argent center cap...might look good.

Not so sure how the Road wheel would look blacked out, though.

I painted the ones on my falcon with some wheel paint from the parts store. Turned out good.
index.php

"Magnum 500" was the term used for the chrome wheels by the manufacturer- Motor Wheel.

You could also buy them aftermarket.

I have a set of road wheels that have been painted black. I've seen them on other cars as well, usually with the silver still brushed metal.

They look alright, but funny without the trim rings.

OTOH, a nice silver set looks pretty good without the rings, IMO.

From my understanding, YY1 has the correct information on the wheels - Magnum rims are chrome, Road wheel rims are painted black and use the trim rings. I have both sets. The first one is the Road wheel, second is the Magnum.

Chrysler "Rallye Wheel":
WVI-56-5712044_OH.jpg

Chrysler "Road Wheel":
wvi-54-4712044_xl.jpg

If these were on a Ford, they'd be "Magnum 500" wheels.

That's incorrect. That 2nd wheel is a Chrysler Magnum 500. The Road wheels were not chrome where that wheel is and had trim rings on the outer lip where that wheel is Chrome. While Ford did have a Magnum 500 wheel, so did Chrysler, and that 2nd one is it. Lots of people get them confused and rightly so because they are very similar.

From my understanding, YY1 has the correct information on the wheels - Magnum rims are chrome, Road wheel rims are painted black and use the trim rings. I have both sets. The first one is the Road wheel, second is the Magnum.

Exactly!

Mine are the brushed metal finish / no chrome type wheel. I never considered painting the middle all black. Sure would be easier than masking to the correct paint scheme.

You can get masking kits ready made for the road wheels. I think Year One sells them. Surely someone else does cheaper. lol

Mine are the brushed metal finish / no chrome type wheel. I never considered painting the middle all black. Sure would be easier than masking to the correct paint scheme.
I like the brushed finish, seems to match the "spokes" better than chrome or polished. Do you happen to remember what the width on those are? I need to get some for my Road wheel set.

That's incorrect. That 2nd wheel is a Chrysler Magnum 500. The Road wheels were not chrome where that wheel is and had trim rings on the outer lip where that wheel is Chrome. While Ford did have a Magnum 500 wheel, so did Chrysler, and that 2nd one is it. Lots of people get them confused and rightly so because they are very similar.

exactly

Chryslers road wheel and magnum 500 were only available in a 14 inch
ford used a 15 inch magnum 500
that's why some people use the ford wheels on Chrysler with a Chrysler centercap

I painted the ones on my falcon with some wheel paint from the parts store. Turned out good.
index.php

I think they look alright black. With the trim ring and the chrome center cap also some chrome lug nuts. They should look pretty good. I think they take on a different feel when painted all black. :glasses7:

Lots of good information guys. I'm glad my question didn't go unanswered.

I like the brushed finish, seems to match the "spokes" better than chrome or polished. Do you happen to remember what the width on those are? I need to get some for my Road wheel set.

I was referring to the wheel. I do have bright chrome trim rings on them. I don't recall seeing brushed finish trim rings that would match that portion of the wheel but... maybe with the right brush it could be done ?

-
Back