painting my interior

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
When you paint the interior, I remember you shouldn't paint the dash high gloss what should you paint the rest of the interior. Do you paint the dash semi gloss or a satin finish
L

When you paint the interior, I remember you shouldn't paint the dash high gloss what should you paint the rest of the interior. Do you paint the dash semi gloss or a satin finish L

I wouldn't go to satin or flat.. We go a nice semi gloss on all ours with a semi gloss clear and they look great! Good luck!

Thanks, I wasn't sure. I'll order that today.

Remember, shiny reflects sunlight. Yes shiny may look nice, but think about glare from the sun when you drive. I've seen both but I prefer a flatter surface. John Deere Blitz Black is what I used. I used it in several areas of the car including the grill.

somewhere in all the BS on the net you can find (ditzler comes to mind).the original factory colors, paint codes for the interior of all these old cars.

like the first guy just said, the factory didn't paint the dash GLOSS because of glare. and in my opinion, guys that paint all the interior the same color and shade, it just doesn't look RIGHT?.. just my opinion based on what the factory did..... just me. its your car, do as you like....

I just found my copy of the 69 ply Ditzler color codes, on the back side are the int colors. not sure what your car is but this gives a little idea of what the factory did.

69 belvedere.int gloss finish: roof rail, qtr upper garnish, quarter belt garnish, headliner retainer moulding. c pillar cover, qtr window garnish,

semigloss: backlight moulding clips except black ( low gloss)

suede finish: *****instrument panel ( dash), steering col. windshield garnish .

I have had these colors mixed by the PPG store when I wanted a high dollar car correct. now days I usually use a combo of over the counter colors and some mixed by PPG with the original colors, but I never had the entire int trim the same color and never paint the instrument ( dash) glass.

hopes this info helps you or whoever is wondering about the int. colors/shades.

Thanks, I just ordered the semi gloss. Maybe another 2 weeks, I'll have the interior finished.

like the first guy just said, the factory didn't paint the dash GLOSS because of glare. and in my opinion, guys that paint all the interior the same color and shade, it just doesn't look RIGHT?.. just my opinion based on what the factory did..... just me. its your car, do as you like....

That's weird isn't it? Dash painted the same color as everything else doesn't look right for some reason. You'd think everything the same color would look more proper but it really doesn't to me. I couldn't handle any more gloss in front of me with the setup I have. The polished steering wheel gives me enough cussing moments as it is!

That's how I feel about people who paint their bumpers the same color as their car (or matching rims), just looks wrong.

My jag has some shiny chrome bits on the interior, and while it looks nice, sunny days have me cursing when it hits just right!

Awesome information. Thanks so much. I agree with the painted bumper, or wheels. Guess I'm just to old school.

I can't say about the rest of the interior, but I painted my dash with the Krylon Semi-Flat Black and this is what it came out looking like.

After looking at the info Barbee listed, I'm not sure what should be gloss and semi gloss. Are the doors semi or gloss. Anyone help me here.

Hi there, not sure how my 67 cuda would compare to your later year model but I still have the original paint in decent shape. Door trim pieces are gloss (mine looks semi probably from the age) the dash is a satin finish with a rough texture on it. I believe this is this is what barbee is referring to the "suade" finish.
Hope this helps

basically, the factory knew if you interior is the same color/ shade. it wouldn't look right. take a black int car, the seats, carpet, dash, interior panels are not all the same shade , or it will look "strange".

not having too glossy a dash is obvious.

I think the dash turned out well.

-
Back