Painting over Powder coating

-

ir3333

Reaction score
I acquired some suspension components that have been powder coated "lipstick black". I want to put
the correct factory finish on them.Is there anything special required to refinish items that have been powder coated?
...and were factory disc brake components ever painted or just left raw metal and unpainted?

Scratch up your newly powder coated parts with a scotch brite scuff pad to give the paint some tooth to grab on to.

Wipe it down with some sort of wax and grease remover so there is no oil on it, then you are good to go painting.

Paint the bare control arms too so they don't rust.

agree with george

i has the same situation when PC came back gloss black and i wanted, well, not that.

hit it with scotch brite, wiped it down with acetone and then sprayed it with VHT engine enamel. it's held up very well and easy to touch up the errant rock chips if necessary.

Tx guys...I thought that's all that would be required but I didn't know what the stuff is actually made of?

Treat the cured powder like primer. Scuff and paint. Scotch Brite pad might do it, but just make sure the surface is scuffed enough for proper adhesion.

Tx guys...I thought that's all that would be required but I didn't know what the stuff is actually made of?
Treat the cured powder like primer. Scuff and paint. Scotch Brite pad might do it, but just make sure the surface is scuffed enough for proper adhesion.
Yup. Sand and spray. Powder coat is essentially powdered paint cured with heat. As far as refinishing it, treat it just like regular paint.

I agree. Powder coating is known for its abrasion resistance. Takes a little more than scotchbrite

You guys already replied similar the way I would.

80 grit, 180 grit, and re paint.

I never liked powder coating, waste of money when painting can give the same result of prepped right.

I agree. Powder coating is known for its abrasion resistance. Takes a little more than scotchbrite
Thanks, I know. I have been powder coating for about 15 years. I have a corrosion resistant (zinc added) powder that I use a lot. You'd be surprised how many people want parts done with this primer powder. Then all they have to do is wet sand with 320 and then paint.

Thanks for the tag.

The biggest issue with refinishing a part that's already powder coated is that you have to rely that the person prepping it initially did it properly.

If all they did was "rough up the metal with a Scotch Brite" or powder right over smooth new metal (sadly much more common than you probably realize, especially from manufacturers and newbies), neither finish is going to last.

The initial powder job will delaminate from the metal and take all that pretty new paint right along with it.

I don't trust anyone's prep work except my own.

Why put all that time and money into your keeper if you aren't going to do it right the first time?

But that's just me. This guy agrees it's good enough for his museum even if Rainy doesn't. Lol

FB_IMG_1647363509004.jpg

I sprayed an entire engine with vinyl-dye prep. It softened the powder, and the paint stuck like it was first time painted.

-
Back