Painting the engine compartment

-

cruzin65dart

Reaction score
OK, The engine compartment is all primed up and ready for paint. I will be doing basecoat/clearcoat.

Any suggestions on safety equipment. I usually use my mask with a charcoal filter for all my spray can painting. I will be using my HVLP gun to do this job. I was reading the label on the paint and it sounds quite nasty. What do you guys do when painting. A fresh air system sound like the way to go but they are expensive. I'm doing this in my garage.

OK, The engine compartment is all primed up and ready for paint. I will be doing basecoat/clearcoat.

Any suggestions on safety equipment. I usually use my mask with a charcoal filter for all my spray can painting. I will be using my HVLP gun to do this job. I was reading the label on the paint and it sounds quite nasty. What do you guys do when painting. A fresh air system sound like the way to go but they are expensive. I'm doing this in my garage.

Isocyanate poisoning is about the worst thing you can experience. Think of lighting a carton of cigarettes, putting all two hundred in your mouth at once and taking the biggest puff you can. And that's a mild case. I've spent fifteen minutes on the floor puking my guts out, vacuuming my lungs with each puke, and couldn't stop shaking for a day. Again, that's a mild case.
VENTILATION! You want to make sure this stuff is taken away from the project (and you since you're in the way) as quickly as possible. Get yourself a full face mask with NIOSH approved filters. None of them will be approved for isocyanates, since they really want you to use a fresh air set up. But make sure you have a good fan system to pull crap away from you. And filter it. Not good for your neighbors to be breathing it in.

Isocyanate poisoning is about the worst thing you can experience. Think of lighting a carton of cigarettes, putting all two hundred in your mouth at once and taking the biggest puff you can. And that's a mild case. I've spent fifteen minutes on the floor puking my guts out, vacuuming my lungs with each puke, and couldn't stop shaking for a day. Again, that's a mild case.
VENTILATION! You want to make sure this stuff is taken away from the project (and you since you're in the way) as quickly as possible. Get yourself a full face mask with NIOSH approved filters. None of them will be approved for isocyanates, since they really want you to use a fresh air set up. But make sure you have a good fan system to pull crap away from you. And filter it. Not good for your neighbors to be breathing it in.

Guys,

If you can't use a fresh air supply system. Use the charcoal mask (new filters) and open the garage door and turn on an old fan. Get the air flow through the area. Get your paint on as quickly as possible and stay out of the area between applications.

I've been poisoned twice in my 36 year OEM paint career. It was my own fault for cutting corners and not listening to others. Iso poisoning effects are much the same as a 800 lb bear sitting on your chest for a very long time all the while you're trying to cough up a kidhey. The last time I got poisoned it took almost two months before I could breath right.

Now every time I go near an OEM paint system I can feel my throat start to close and my chest starts to feel heavy.

Please be very careful!

sscuda

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I should spend a few hundred and get a fresh air hood system.

-
Back