Painting videos

-

grassy

Reaction score
folks,

Have been reading about the new water based auto paint and have watched a cople of vids on painting..last time I tok up the paint gun was '81.

I have been watching vids on Youtube but the vids are short..does anyone have a full sized one that they can lend/sell or recomend ? The kids get this nervous look when I bring it up :)

Grassy

Eastwood Co, sells some videos. Water based paints are not very hobbiest friendly. They require a ton of airflow through the booth to get the paint to dry.

I'm not sure about the new paint for cars, but I do know the water base paint for the furniture industry is great. Easy to apply and holds up really well. Some friends I have in the automotive paint industry said the quality paint is just not ready for cars yet.

Grassy, Nason is made by Dupont and it is a low voc You can use there base coat and spray a good clear on top.Nason also has a urethane line if you don't want to use B/C.

Some friends I have in the automotive paint industry said the quality paint is just not ready for cars yet.

My buddy does bumper blends on late model cars all day long at local high end dealerships using water based paints. He isn't allowed to spray solvent based paints anymore outside of a booth. The results I have seen are good. This is at Lexus, Volvo and Cadillac dealers.

My buddy does bumper blends on late model cars all day long at local high end dealerships using water based paints. He isn't allowed to spray solvent based paints anymore outside of a booth. The results I have seen are good. This is at Lexus, Volvo and Cadillac dealers.
Yeah that's using water born base coat the clear is still low voc's

Yeah that's using water born base coat the clear is still low voc's

I'm not a paint guy so I don't know much about it, but I was under the impression that is was all water born. The EPA is really cracking down on people spraying solvent based paints outside, fining painters and the dealerships that allow them to do it.

I think this one the states moves quicker than us up here with the switch. Not sure what this switch has to the colours. . Thanks for the tip with Nason..I was thinking sherwin williams or PPG. I also will check out eastwood.

I was thinking about painting the garage floor and hanging plastic over/around the car with a 3 foot fan pulling air out. I don't think the spraying is the expensive part at a shop but rather all the sanding , buffing you have to do. or in a case with one of my cars, he skipped that part :)

Something is telling me I can do it..the kids are weary.

Appreciate the input.
Ian.

The prep work, down to block sanding filler primer to 600 grit takes forever, and sucks big ones. We blew out the shop, set up big exhaust and shot base and clear in engine compartment. All the dam dust on top of the clear...I usually put my socks and shoes on in my office; the summer sun shines right on me, so I can see dust.- you wouldn't believe the dust that comes off washed clothes, and is stirred up from a vacuumed carpet.

The sanding is what the shops don't want to do ..our labour is free. :)

-
Back