Painting

-

n00blike

Reaction score
I want to paint the inside of my engine bay (petty blue or some thing close)

but i would love to save those $500 and do it myself.

What are your guy's experience with painting your cars?
What paint should i get?
what kind of set-up do i need?

best advice i can give you from my experience's is too prep and prep even more, dont rush the sanding and degreasing of the engine bay, make sure you get every inch when sanding and cleaning, otherwise it will flake, peel and drive you insane, make sure you use a high heat paint if you have headers

You dont need a special paint because of headers. I use single stage urethane for engine bays and jams.

Use a good epoxy primer to seal the old paint, Then a 2K to block out the sheet metal, then spray your color.

You can get the materials from www.autocolorlibrary.com

what are the color codes for petty blue and ford bionic blue?

how do i get the deep effect? a lot of clear?

when you have the hood black and the rest of the car....I don't know...Yellow or orange or green, what ever, Is the proper color on the hood flat black, semi gloss black or gloss black? Do you spray anything over the flat black base coat?

when you have the hood black and the rest of the car....I don't know...Yellow or orange or green, what ever, Is the proper color on the hood flat black, semi gloss black or gloss black? Do you spray anything over the flat black base coat?

The correct color is organasol black which is expensive and hard to find. I use a satin black. Use a single stage, No clear or used a base coat with a clear mixed with 30% flattening agent.

Follow AdamR directions!!8)
I have seen two he has dune and remember!!
degrease and prep.prep,prep!!
Take your time and enjoy working one your car.:cheers:

The correct color is organasol black which is expensive and hard to find. I use a satin black. Use a single stage, No clear or used a base coat with a clear mixed with 30% flattening agent.

i had my hood painted three times before we were satified it looked close to original mopar styling, started out as flat black and it just didn't feel right, not sure what he used but last time it was painted by a mopar guy that knew what to do`

You can buy SEM trim black in quart cans that looks pretty good.

The base with the semi flat clear is probably the easiest to keep clean but I havent done one like that yet.

Heres the SEM trim black we used on a friends Dart Sport.

10_G.jpg

If the hood is painted in a black like this, is the underside also black or is it body color?

I painted some parts before and used the flattening agent with the clear - it still came out mighty glossy. I will have to try and remember what part it was, but I think we used a 50-50 mix of clear to flattening agent.

If you used a trim or satin black only, can it be waxed?
C

what gun, pressure, "booth", and temp should i paint with?

If the hood is painted in a black like this, is the underside also black or is it body color?

I painted some parts before and used the flattening agent with the clear - it still came out mighty glossy. I will have to try and remember what part it was, but I think we used a 50-50 mix of clear to flattening agent.

If you used a trim or satin black only, can it be waxed?
C

I think this car was orange on the under side of the hood but its been 4 or 5 years since we did it.

The trim black cant be waxed which is a pain in the *** and why my Dart wont be getting the black out.

what gun, pressure, "booth", and temp should i paint with?

The paint will come with paper work that will tell you.

Pressure depends on the paint type and gun type. You can paint in any temperature from about 65 and up depending on the reducer you use. You use a faster reducer for a colder temp. So at 65* you need a fast reducer, 75 a medium and 85 a slow reducer.

I did my engine bay and jam work right in my drive. I just hose it down to keep the dust down.

what are people talking about when they "bake the paint"?
Since i plane to do this in my driveway, should i stay away from certain types of paint?

what are people talking about when they "bake the paint"?
Since i plane to do this in my driveway, should i stay away from certain types of paint?

Baking the paint is what body shops do to speed up production. You don't need to worry about that. Main concern if you are painting in your driveway is overspray and dirt. Are you planning on building a booth around it?

I wouldnt do the entire car in the driveway. If you have a detached garage I would make a temporary booth in it or look in to renting a booth to spray the final color.

Well i can't do the whole car because i want to fix some temp bondo work.

I was planing to just paint the engine bay while i had the engine out because it seems that no one wants the paint a bay with the motor in it :(

Now im thinking of just doing all the painting my self. Its gonna gonna be a trailer queen so i don't need the 20k paint job.

What would go into making a booth?

Also i live in a mobile home park (not as bad as you are thinking) They are nicer then some apartments i have lived in. But they are really close to each other. I want to build one of those steel garages so i can work on my car when ever i want! and maybe sound proof it so people don't complain.
Maybe something like this, any ideas? The space i have just just about big enough for 1.5 Duster L X 1.2 Duster W

http://www.absoluterv.com/GarageGallery/sonoran_garage.htm

-
Back